Deadline: October 27, 2023
Applications are open for the AfOx Catalyst Grants 2023. The AfOx Catalyst Grants provide seed funding to support the development of collaborative research between researchers based in African research institutions and at the University of Oxford. Catalyst Grants are open to all disciplines.
Over the last 5 years, they have awarded over 200 Catalyst Grants that have initiated new collaborations between researchers from more than 100 African institutions with over 50 Oxford Departments. AfOx Catalyst Grants have enabled the developed of long-term collaboration between researchers in Africa and Oxford. These collaborations have led to significant research outcomes, policy impacts and substantial further funding.
There are two routes through which applications for a Catalyst Grant can be made: AfOx Travel Grants and AfOx Starter Grants.
AFox Travel Grants
- AfOx Travel Grant supports the establishment of new collaborations through travel by applicants in either direction from an African institution to Oxford or vice versa. Travel Grants enable researchers to meet in either an African institution or Oxford and work together on an area of mutual interest.
- The AfOx Travel Grants fund activities including but not limited to, workshops and conferences, co-supervision, curriculum co-development, joint lectures and seminars, co-authoring publications, joint grant-applications and conducting of primary research.
- The duration of the travel grant can be between 1 to 8 weeks, and grants can be applied for a maximum of £5,000.
- Applications for a travel grant must be made jointly between academics or researchers based in Africa at either an academic and non-academic institution and academics or researchers at the University of Oxford.
AFox Starter Grant
- The AfOx Starter Grants fund activities including but not limited to, the early-phase development of ideas, feasibility studies, public engagement, and conducting of primary research.
- AfOx Starter Grants provide seed funding for activities which aim to develop sustainable partnerships and strengthening applications for longer-term fellowships and funding.
- AfOx Starter Grants can be up to 12 weeks.
- AfOx Starter Grants can be applied for a maximum of £5,000.
- Applications for a starter grant must be made jointly between academics or researchers based in Africa at either an academic and non-academic institution and academics or researchers at the University of Oxford.
- AfOx asks all applicants for the Starter Grants scheme to carefully consider the necessity for travel prior to submitting an application.
- Catalyst Grant support the development of sustainable and equitable partnership between researchers in Africa and the University of Oxford. Applications should indicate the value of the proposed activities to both collaborators.
- If applicable, please indicate how your project addresses a particular challenge linked to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Awards for both the Catalyst Grants are made up to a maximum of £5,000 and must be made jointly between researchers based in Africa at either an academic and non-academic institution and researchers at the University of Oxford.
- The Catalyst Grant may cover more than two people and additional individuals should be named under ‘Purpose of the Grant’.
- The overarching aim of the scheme is to foster the development of new collaborations and the scheme is not intended to be used as alternative support for already established collaborations.
- Oxford applicants must be of postdoctoral or equivalent status at the time of application. African applicants must be holding an appointment in an African academic or research institution at the time of application.
For more information, visit AfOx Catalyst Grants.