Deadline: November 15, 2023
Applications are open for the Meta Llama Impact Grants Program 2023. Recent breakthroughs in AI, and generative AI in particular, have captured the public’s imagination and demonstrated what those developing these technologies have long known – they have the potential to help people do incredible things, create a new era of economic and social opportunity, and give individuals, creators, and organizations new ways to express themselves and connect with people.
Building off a legacy of open sourcing their products and tools to benefit the global community, this past July Meta launched Llama 2 as the next generation of their open-source large language model. Since its release, hundreds of thousands of download requests have signaled the importance of Llama 2 to the global developer community.
With open source being part of their DNA, Meta wants to expand that opportunity to even more organizations across the globe. That is why they are launching the Llama Impact Grants program. The goal of the program is to identify and support the most compelling applications of Llama 2 for societal benefit.
They recognize that global challenges are complex and nuanced. That is why they are structuring this program around three different tracks:
- Open Innovation
- If your lab or organization has ideas for how to address any of the above or other critical global challenges leveraging Llama 2 they welcome your proposal!
- Applicants submitting proposals under the Education track are encouraged to consider how Llama 2 could promote the discovery of new opportunities to deliver more equitable education outcomes in their own communities. The might include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Support for Students: Deliver personalized content for individual students in order to convey key points in a way that they best understand. This could include personalized curriculum materials, course programs, and assessment questions that focus on areas where an individual child most needs support.
- Support for Teachers: Assist in grading, lesson planning, and other administrative tasks in order to allow teachers to spend more of their time teaching and supporting their students, creating a more productive teaching workforce.
- Applicants submitting proposals under the Environment track are encouraged to consider how Llama 2 may be incorporated as a component of a solution to build a healthier and more sustainable world, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Mitigation Focus: Help us speed the discovery, testing, and scaling of new methods for reducing the levels of green house gases in the atmosphere. Applications include accelerating material science, carbon removal, NDC strategies, and just transitions.
- Adaptation Focus: Help us adapt to a changing environment, saving lives and protecting livelihoods. Applications include agricultural planning and management; urban resilience; and green economic development.
- They welcome all proposals that take an innovative approach to using Llama 2 for social good, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Faster synthesis and answers from large corpuses of research, policy papers, or data sets, including deriving novel insights from unstructured text.
- Improving the speed of coding new software applications that help us to understand and act quickly in a changing world.
- Summarizing known side effects and anecdotal outcomes of medications to mitigate negative interactions and propose solutions to increase medication compliance.
- Analysis of court records and documents to identify biases and evidentiary challenges that could reopen cases and bring about more fair judicial outcomes.
All proposals will be evaluated using the selection criteria that assesses:
- Technical Feasibility: Llama is a central part of the proposed solution. There is a clear indication for how Llama will be used and is feasible given the capabilities of the model.
- Applicability: The proposed solution measurably addresses the challenge outlined in their designated track. The proposed solution may be novel interventions or refined through the use of Llama.
- Responsibility: Where applicable, the proposed solution articulates how it will address responsible practices with regard to data security, privacy, and replicability.
- Impact: The proposed solution articulates a vision for how their solution impacts the broader problem space and provides social benefit. This might include how the solution works across geographies, addresses the needs of additional communities, or similar.
The application deadline is November 15, 2023. Those teams whose proposals are selected as finalists will be notified in January 2024.
For more information, visit Llama Impact Grants.