Deadline: January 31, 2024
Call for Applications for the Epidemic Science Leadership & Innovation Networks 2024 are now open. This call will foster a vibrant ecosystem of Epidemic Science Leadership and Innovation Networks (EPSILONs) across Africa. Each EPSILON will comprise three to eight organisations in a ‘hub and spoke’ consortium. Each consortium will establish a network of research excellence in a thematic area relevant to epidemic and pandemic sciences research, preparedness and response.
These networks will nurture and promote world-class epidemic and pandemic sciences research and innovation in Africa, building a critical mass of experts across all health sectors in the continent to address ongoing health challenges while strengthening capabilities to respond to future infectious diseases health threats. They will contribute to developing communities of practice that may be leveraged for long-term collaboration and during future outbreaks to respond to urgent research and policy needs.
Thematic Research Areas
- Vaccinology / early-stage vaccine research and development
- Virology – genotype to phenotype
- Clinical research and clinical trials on epidemic and pandemic prone infections
- Epidemic and pandemic public health policy research
- Climate change, biodiversity and pandemic prevention
- Advanced data assembly and analytics for threat assessment and mitigation
- Social and behavioural sciences
- Applicants should prepare a core budget for up to USD $4 million over five to six years, plus specific additional elements as detailed in the call guidelines. It is anticipated that successful consortia will attract additional funding from other sources over the duration of the programme.
- Lead applicants can lead only one application but may be co-applicants in several applications.
- Lead applicants must be based at an eligible organisation and must fulfil the following conditions:
- Hold an academic or research post;
- Have a salary, or the guarantee of a salary, for the duration of the award period, or be required by their contract of employment to have a salary.
The deadline for Preliminary Applications is January 31, 2024 at 1700hrs East Africa Time (EAT).