Deadline: September 12, 2013
The African Leadership Academy (ALA) is calling on all young Africans to participate in a month-long essay writing competition on the topic: “How can governments, businesses, non-profits, individuals and the youth collaborate to maximize Africa’s youth potential for the continent’s development and prosperity?”
ALA is very delighted to join the United Nations in recognizing the immense potential and celebrating the extraordinary achievements of young people around the world on International Youth Day, August 12, 2013. In celebrating International Youth Day 2013, ALA focuses on the need to maximize the potential of African youth at home and abroad to contribute optimally to the development of the continent. Demographic studies show that Africa has the largest youth population in the world of over 200 million people, a figure which is expected to double by 2045.
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Young Africans aged 15 – 19 residing within and outside Africa are invited to apply
- Essays should focus on SPECIFIC practicable, implementable, measurable and scalable ideas that can be implemented effectively across the continent
- Essays must be written in English, French or Portuguese languages
- Essays must not exceed 1000 words, and should contain no more than five concrete ideas fitting the above criteria
- Essays must have a cover page indicating (i) Name (ii) Nationality (iii) E-mail Address (iv) Phone Number (v) Gender (vi) Date of Birth (vii) Name of School (if applicable) (viii) School Contact Information (ix)Word Count
- Essays must be the original work of the writer, and should not have been published on any media prior to submission
- Essays will be judged not only for the quality of ideas, but also for the quality of writing
- Essays should be submitted on or before September 12, 2013
Grand prize: Full scholarship worth US$4200 to attend the Global Scholars Program (GSP) – a unique international three-week entrepreneurial leadership summer camp) in July 2014 at the ALA campus in Johannesburg, South Africa. Also included will be an air ticket to South Africa and a winner’s plaque.
Ist Runner-Up: Full scholarship worth US$4200 to attend the 2014 Global Scholars Program (a unique international three-week entrepreneurial leadership summer camp) at ALA, and a plaque.
2nd Runner-up: 50% scholarship worth US$2100 to attend the 2014 Global Scholars Program (a unique three-week entrepreneurial leadership summer camp) at ALA, and a plaque.
Top ten essays: all top ten essays will be published on the website of African Leadership Academy, and the writers will receive certificates of commendation.
Additional prizes to be announced in due course. Winners will be announced at African Leadership Academy on African Youth Day, 1st November 2013.
For inquiries email [email protected]
For more information and to apply, click here.