World Bank Group Youth Summit 2013 | Development Case Competition
Deadline: September 8, 2013
Young people between the ages of 18 and 35 are invited to submit proposals that introduce socially innovative solutions to the challenges described in the cases. This is an opportunity to be part of the World Bank’s first ever Youth Summit, which will focus on youth unemployment and entrepreneurship, and will be held in October in Washington DC. Award prizes vary by case and may include cash prizes and a chance to personally present your proposal to the implementing partner.
The 2013 Youth Summit is an event championed by the Junior Professional Associates (JPA) Program in collaboration with other units at The World Bank Group (WBG), to be held on October 3, 2013. The theme for the event is “Youth Entrepreneurship: Cultivating an innovative spirit to alleviate global youth unemployment”. The summit will feature notable panelists of the development community, and will provide a forum for young people from around the globe to share innovative ideas and solutions to current development challenges to create opportunities for youth employment and job creation.
Development Case Competition
The summit will address three areas: Youth Employment, Education, Millennial Communications – the use of social media and technology for development. Before the summit, a Development Case Study Competition aims to provide youth with the opportunity to propose innovative solutions and business products for real development issues that the WBG and external partners are striving to solve.
- The Development Case Competition is open to anyone who is 18-35 years old, anywhere in the world.
- The World Bank invites individuals and teams of two to five creative thinkers (who are 18-35 years old) to submit a proposal for one of the four development cases that highlight real life challenges facing development organizations.
- Participants submit a proposal of up to 2,000 words, in English, that provides solutions to the development case they chose to address.
The following cases are this year’s Youth Summit Development Cases:
- Case Study A: Strengthening Micro-Entrepreneurship for Disadvantaged Youth (Download)
- Case Study B: A Better Financial Product for Young Entrepreneurs’ Micro and Small Enterprises (Download)
- Case Study C: Reverse Engineering, Youth Entrepreneurship Driving Education (Download)
- Case Study D: Millennial Communications for Inclusive City Planning (Download)
- Winning selections (winners and runners-up) for each case study are invited to the Youth Summit on October 3rd to present their winning proposals (either in person or by video-conference).
- World Bank President Jim Yong Kim will present participants with certificates.
- Additional awards will be given to the winners by the case sponsors.
Anyone can attend the Youth Summit without having participated in the Case Study Competition. In fact, you are more than welcome to! Registration to attend the Youth Summit on October 3, 2013 is open.
For more information, click here.