Deadline: December 16, 2013
Applications are accepted for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Toronto for the 2014-2015 academic year. This comprehensive scholarship provides talented, yet financially disadvantaged students from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to relevant university education. The Program aims to educate and enable students to contribute to the economic growth and social development of their countries of origin.
If you are selected for the Program, the scholarship will provide you with full financial assistance in relation to tuition, travel expenses (including obtaining a passport), housing, food, books and other expenses for the duration of a four-year undergraduate degree.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is open to you if you are a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan Africa country. You must be a first-time applicant to the University of Toronto who has not yet begun university study elsewhere. If you are a transfer student, you are not eligible for the Program.
In order to be eligible, you must:
- be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa;
- demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country;
- have very strong academic results within your school system;
- have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement;
- maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development;
- be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements; and
- fulfill the necessary English requirements (dependent on country).
Please note that both academic and English requirements differ based on the country and educational system you are coming from.
For more information, click here.