Deadline: November 30, 2013
The Voices of Courage awards is now open for nomination. Each year, the Women’s Refugee Commission (WRC) honors refugees who are working on behalf of refugee, internally displaced, asylum-seeking and resettled women and young people. WRC is now seeking candidates to be honored at the Voices of Courage Awards luncheon on May 1, 2014.
At the luncheon, WRC will honor refugees who are developing or leading exemplary programs that benefit and include refugees, internally displaced persons, asylum-seekers, returnees or individuals who have been resettled. Organizations are encouraged to nominate refugees, IDPs, asylum-seekers or returnees working in their projects who are positive role models for their peers and are making a significant contribution to promoting their rights.
Two individuals will be selected to receive the Voices of Courage Award. The two 2014 Voices of Courage honorees will each nominate an organization to receive a $5,000 grant from the Women’s Refugee Commission to further their critical work to benefit displaced people in their communities.
- Candidates may live in the United States or overseas.
- Candidates should be individuals who were previously displaced themselves by conflict or natural disasters, or who are seeking or have been granted asylum.
- Candidates should be individuals who have developed or implemented successful programs that serve women, children or youth who are currently or were previously displaced by conflict or natural disasters, or who are seeking or have been granted asylum.
- Candidates should be passionate advocates for improving the lives and protecting the rights of refugees, internally displaced persons, asylum-seekers, returnees or individuals who have been resettled.
- Candidates must be able to travel to New York for a week in late April/early May (the luncheon is Thursday, May 1, 2014) to accept their award (all travel and housing expenses will be paid).
- Candidates must be willing to participate in media interviews from the time of honoree selection through the Luncheon on May 1, 2014.
For more information, click here.