Research Associate at the University of Glasgow – Scotland, UK
Deadline: February 2, 2014
The University of Glasgow is accepting application for the position of a Research Associate at the School of Social and Political Science. The Job Purpose is to play a leading role on the project entitled “Researching Multilingually at the Borders of Language, the Body, Law and the State” (AHRC Reference: AH/L006936/1), and, more specifically, on ‘Case Study 3: Working and Researching Multilingually at State (and European Union) Borders’, within the School of Social and Political Sciences in the College of Social Sciences.
Also, to demonstrate a degree of leadership in conducting field research, publishing work and the capacity to act with a degree of independence to determine the direction of the research project. Support the Co-I (Case Study 3), PI and other project consortium members in the successful delivery of the project.
Reference Number 006469
Location Gilmorehill Campus / Main Building
College / Service COLLEGE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
Department SCHOOL OF SOCIAL & POLITICAL SCIENCES
Job Family Research And Teaching
Position Type Full Time
Salary Range £32,267 – £36,298
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- 1. Play a leading role in the planning, design and implementation of the project in conjunction with the relevant collaborators, including undertaking literature and database searches and carry out literature reviews.
- 2. Contribute to all stages of the research from data collection to data analysis and writing up. The research will involve data collection (through participant observation, interviewing and documentary research) and analysis, knowledge exchange, and theoretical work in the field.
- 3. Collaborate with Co-I (Case Study 3), PI and other project consortium members (taking the lead, where appropriate) on writing up of research findings; the documentation of research results for inclusion in papers, reports and presentations, and preparation of designated parts of such papers, reports and presentations.
- 4. Play a leading role in work on project website and on social media, and co-edit project Blogsite, working with Creative Arts and Researching Multilingually ‘hubs’ of the project and supporting and supervising less experienced members of the project team (such as postgraduate students and interns) involved in this aspect of the project.
- 5. Effective dissemination of research findings and training materials to diverse audience (including through publications in peer-reviewed journals, presentation of results at appropriate national and international workshops and conferences, etc.).
- 6. Keep up to date with current developments in the research area and relevant research methods, and to advance through self-driven research and study.
- 7. Develop and maintain external and internal collaborations, including colleagues in the research team, and participate in team meetings/discussions and research group activities.
- 8. Other project duties as required by the line manager.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A3 Appropriate good first degree in relevant subject.
- A4 PhD in relevant subject or the equivalent research experience.
- A5 Knowledge of contemporary Romanian society.
- B1 Knowledge of contemporary debates and developments in research area.
- B2 Up-to-date knowledge of the relevant research literature.
- C1 Capacity to undertake quantitative and/or qualitative research in the field.
- C2 Fluency in written and spoken Romanian and English.
- C3 Ability to communicate in a variety of forms at all levels within the School, College and University, and beyond, in the policy and academic communities.
- C4 Ability to work effectively with a range of academic and non-academic actors and to foster collegiality.
- C5 Ability to produce accurate work to deadlines.
- C6 Ability to write clear research reports.
- C7 Ability to demonstrate a leadership role and manage more junior staff engaged in research, as appropriate.
- D1 Capacity to contribute to both the quantitative and qualitative elements of the project.
- D2 Potential to foster collaboration in research with other academics and policy audiences.
- D3 Capacity to communicate research to the academic and policy communities.
- D4 Fluency in written and spoken Bulgarian, Serbian or Ukrainian.
- D5 Ability to use WordPress web software.
- E1 1-2 years postdoctoral research experience, or equivalent, in relevant area.
- E2 Experience of employing relevant research methods.
- E3 Experience of managing research, whether as part of a team or as an independent researcher managing your own research project/programme.
- E4 Evidence of research presentations at conferences and seminars.
- E5 Experience of conducting field research in Romania.
- F1 Advanced experience in using a wide range of relevant research methods.
For further information please contact Dr Robert Gibb: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary will be on the University’s Research and Teaching Grade, level 7, £32,590 – £36,661per annum.
For more information, click here.