Job Opening for the Position of Programme Manager at UNICEF, Baidoa, Somalia (P4)
Deadline: April 16, 2014
UNICEF is seeking to recruit a candidate for the post of Programme Manager at Baidoa, Somalia.
The purpose of this position is to provides guidance and direction for programme planning, implementation and analysis through ongoing consultations with various units, especially on general policy direction and programme management. Plans, develops and implements resilience strategy by working with the local authorities , WFP and FAO, preparing required documentation, workplans, and programme, monitoring and evaluation.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Field Office, responsible for overall coordination, planning, development and management of programmes in Central and Southern Zone.
- Provides guidance and direction for programme planning, implementation and analysis through ongoing consultations with various units, especially on general policy direction and programme management.
- Establishes programme workplans, monitors compliance and provides training, support and guidance to the programme team in order to meet objectives. Identifies human resources requirements and ongoing staff development needs.
- Plans, develops and implements resilience strategy by working with the local authorities , WFP and FAO, preparing required documentation, workplans, and programme, monitoring and evaluation.
- Oversees the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the Programme Budget Allotments (PBA). Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
- Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programme/projects in collaboration with Government and other partners. Undertakes field visits and surveys to monitor and evaluate implementation, identifies problems and proposes remedial action. Identifies or decides on alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery and ensure capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Participates in meetings with senior government officials as well as multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies, to advocate and promote UNICEF programme goals and objectives, and communicate with major partners on organizational policies. Participates in tripartite and other meetings with ministries responsible for programme/project development and reviews, and follows up on the implementation of recommendations and agreements.
- Supervises the activities leading to the preparation of the Situation Analysis for programme development and periodically updates by monitoring and analyzing the social, political and economic trends in the Zone that affect women and children.
- Deputizes the Chief of Field Office. Supports overall management through participation in management meetings to review office operations, human resources, and programme and administrative budgets.
- Prepares relevant programme reports required for management, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
- Advanced university degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Public Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF. A degree on peace education is an asset. *A first university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.*
- Eight years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in social development, management, monitoring and evaluation, of which at least two years in complex emergencies. Previous experience on DRR programme management, resilience and peace building is an asset.
- Fluency in English and another UN language is required. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.