Volunteer at PEN International NGO in London. Covers Travel Expenses and Daily Allowance.
Deadline: May 12, 2014
Volunteer Hours: Three days per week (10.30 am– 5.30pm)
Location: Central London
Start date: May 22, 2014
End date: August 22, 2014
Passionate and interested individuals who have volunteering experience or not are invited to apply for the PEN International volunteering opportunity with placement in Central London from 22 May – 22 August 2014.
PEN International offers a year-round volunteer scheme across all areas of our work, providing interesting and exciting placements to those looking for a career in an NGO, charity, human rights or arts organisation.
Volunteers have helped ensure the success of such projects as the Writers in Prison Committee’s 50th anniversary celebrations in 2010; the coordination and promotion of the Free the Word! festival in London annually since 2008; administrative support for our international Congresses (in Tokyo in 2010 and Belgrade in 2011) and for regional programmes; coordination of meetings in Lahore and Tokyo with writers from Centres in the Asia Pacific region; and much more.
Roles and responsibilities:
PEN International is looking for an outgoing, enthusiastic and committed individual to support its International Programmes work. The role will involve:
- Supporting our programme work in the field of civil society and education in particular. Helping to develop and implement a learning and monitoring system for our programmes in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America & Caribbean regions.
- Communicating the programme results creatively through various channels including social media, electronic newsletter and the PEN International website.
- Help in preparing, collecting and filing programme documents, including programme proposals and reports (both narrative and financial). Collecting and analysing programme data, feeding programme information into relevant policy areas.
- Travel expenses and a daily allowance will be provided.
- Experience in volunteering for a leading international arts and human rights charitable organisation
- Improved administrative and office skills
- A fuller understanding and direct experience of how programme work supports and contributes to policy and literary work and human rights campaigns
- Experience in programme monitoring and evaluation
- Developed written, editorial and proofing skills
- Developed web content management skills
- Experience in project management
- Experience in working with programmes and grassroots organisations in the Global South.
With a global membership speaking over 40 languages we have a regular demand for translators. We work in English, French and Spanish, but also often require translation into and from other languages. At the moment we are particularly looking for people who can translate English to French ,Arabic, Spanish and Russian.
If you are interested in supporting PEN International as a volunteer translator and gaining valuable experience of translating for a range of media for a global NGO, please get in touch. Items for translation include news articles for the web; communiqués for the membership; campaigns reports; project evaluation documents.
- Volunteer opportunities are announced alongside with paid positions here, although they welcome expressions of interest in volunteering at any time.
For more information, click here.