IREX seeks Local Organizations in Africa to Partner with the Washington Fellowship Program
Deadline: 30 May 2014
The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX) invites interested local organizations to submit an Expression of Interest statement to partner with IREX in implementing Africa-based activities for the Washington Fellowship Program. It is anticipated that IREX will select implementing partners in the following locations:
- Accra, Ghana
- Dakar, Senegal
- Maputo, Mozambique
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Pretoria or Johannesburg, South Africa
Each selected local Implementing Partner organization will engage Washington Fellowship alumni in Africa by playing a key role in developing and implementing youth programming. IREX will provide capacity building support to each Implementing Partner based on needs identified by the Partner and IREX.
The Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is the flagship program of President Obama’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) that brings 500 young leaders aged 25-35 to the United States each year for academic coursework and leadership training. IREX is a US international nonprofit organization providing leadership and innovative programs to improve the quality of education, strengthen independent media, and foster pluralistic civil society development. It is working in over 120 countries around the world.
Responsibilities of Partner Organization ‘
In collaboration with IREX, the selected organization will:
- Provide technical input into all Washington Fellowship activities to ensure that they are relevant and culturally appropriate; and, to ensure and strengthen engagement of broader youth populations, female youth, and marginalized groups.
- Provide management, organizational and logistical support to local, regional and continent-wide training and networking events.
- Work with USAID and IREX to identify internship opportunities and mentors for the Washington Fellows.
- Provide support to IREX monitoring and evaluation activities within the sub-region.
- Provide office space at their organization for approximately 3 IREX staff members.
Applications will be evaluated with the following criteria. Criteria are not listed in order of importance:
- Experience in engaging and supporting youth leaders;
- Networking and alliance-building experience among the public, private, and civil society sectors;
- Experience in promoting gender equality and inclusive development approaches;
- Ability to successfully manage a wide range of complex activities including internship programs, mentorship programs, and high-profile, large-scale conferences;
- Demonstrated access to multiple funding sources; and,
- Expressed commitment to long-term engagement with
Expression of Interest must be submitted via email by the deadline.
For more information and to apply, download the Expression of Interest and Application here: http://www.irex.org/sites/default/files/YALI%20Expression%20of%20Interest.pdf