Deadline: July 30, 2014
She Leads Africa has launched a business pitch competition exclusively for female entrepreneurs, which will give the most promising female entrepreneurs in West Africa a platform to connect to prominent mentors, business funding and new market opportunities.
She Leads Africa’s Entrepreneur Showcase is a platform that introduces the continent’s most promising female entrepreneurs to investors, accelerators, and mentors looking to invest in the next generation of African talent. They are looking for early stage startups that want to meet investors, gain access to new mentors, and grow across Africa.
Prizes and Benefits
The top 10 applicants will be invited to pitch their business ideas in front of a panel of notable business personalities for the chance to win a cash prize of $10, 000 as well as other non-financial prizes including:
- Cash prize of 10,000 USD for first place, 5,000 USD for second place
- Access to prominent venture capitalists, angel investors and other leading professionals to act as mentors and sponsors
- Consultation on brand development with Etisalat in-house marketing team
- Free business line for one year (including voice and data)
- SME accounting software from SmartStart Ghana
- 2 meetings with legal advisor from top law firm to discuss incorporation, corporate structures and copyrights
- Meeting with 2 executive directors of a leading merchant bank to discuss business plans and fund raising
- Interviews with major media outlets
Eligibility and Criteria
Applications are invited from talented female entrepreneurs who have founded or co-founded early stage startups.
- Have a woman on the founding team who will present at the pitch day
- Female founder between 18-35 years old
- Be based in an ECOWAS country and focused on the African market
- Received less than $50K USD in funding
- Been in operation for less than 3 years
- Have a live product in the market
About She Leads Africa
She Leads Africa is a social enterprise ensuring that women are part of Africa’s growth story by helping female entrepreneurs gain access to the knowledge, networks, and financing to build and scale strong businesses.
The Pitch Competition is supported by sponsors Etisalat, Udo Udoma & Belo-Osagie, FSDH Capital, Start Smart Ghana and media partners Genevieve Magazine, Tech Cabal, Venture Burn, and Bella Naija.