Deadline: August 28, 2014
The South Asia Youth Environment Network (SAYN) invites entries from students across Asia and the Pacific for the Handprint Challenge: Sustainability Challenge for Colleges. The objective of the challenge is to create awareness in the field of sustainable development and motivate youth to live in a sustainable manner. As today’s youth defines tomorrow’s future the awareness and action is most important on their part.
Supported by UNEP, this challenge aims at promoting sustainability in college students across Asia and the Pacific by asking students to form teams (not exceeding 10 members per team), identify sustainability issues on their campus and propose an action plan to be implemented by them in the upcoming months. Top teams will be given a seed funding of up to USD 1000 each (upto USD 750 for preliminary qualifiers and an extra USD 500 for final winners), to implement their action plans and carry out sustainability activities on campus.
The reports from these teams will be uploaded and updated on the SAYEN website and their individual profiles on the contest page and based on their Handprint, the teams with the largest Handprint in their region will be adjudged winners and awarded the Handprint flag in an award ceremony at the end of 2014.
Based on these outcomes, the finalists will then be judged by an eminent jury and 4 winners- 1 in each sub-region will be adjudged the winners, who will then be awarded with the Handprint flag and an additional USD 500 to continue their action projects and ensure a larger Handprint!
- Participants will have individual pages featuring their projects on the SAYEN website. Winners will be featured on the UNERTIA, UNEP and SAYEN websites.
- Seed funding of up to USD 750 is available for top 20 teams qualifying for the preliminary round. An additional funding of USD 500 will be awarded to the 4 final winners to improve upon and continue their action projects.
- Round-trip airfare, accommodation, etc. will be provided for team leaders of the final winning teams to attend the awards ceremony and collect their winning certificates and prize.
- Handprint flags for the final winners, crowning them as the most innovative Handprint colleges of the region.
- Only a bonafide student, who is currently officially enrolled/registered for a degree or diploma at the university/college whose status is recognized by the appropriate authority of the country, which is of a minimum duration of one academic year and whose examination is conducted by the university shall be eligible to participate.
- Age limit is from 17 years to 24 years.
- Students must come a country in the Asia-Pacific region
How to Apply
Visit the SAYEN website and click on the Handprint Challenge link. Read the guidelines, fill and submit the form
For more information, visit Handprint Challenge.