Deadline: August 30, 2014
Nominations are open for the Commonwealth Youth Worker Awards 2014, which recognise the excellence of youth workers and their enduring positive impact on young people and local communities. The awards scheme is aimed at recognising and celebrating outstanding youth workers from across the 53 countries of the Commonwealth and overseas territories. Awards will be presented during Youth Work Week in November 2014.
A total of 16 finalists will be shortlisted from four Commonwealth regions: Africa and Europe, Asia, Americas and Caribbean, and Pacific. A winner will be selected from each region, and invited to a presentation at the House of Commons, London, United Kingdom, during Youth Work Week in early November 2014.
During the presentation, one of the regional winners will be declared Commonwealth Youth Worker of the Year 2014. Entries will be scrutinised by a panel of judges including representatives of the Commonwealth Youth Programme and young people.
Youth Work Week
Youth Work Week, organised by the Commonwealth Youth Programme in partnership with the UK’s National Youth Agency, celebrates the contribution and achievements of youth work, youth workers, and youth organisations throughout the Commonwealth.
The international theme for Youth Work Week 2014 is ‘Youth Empowerment though Soft Skills’. Soft skills are the competences which enable people to interact effectively and think creatively, such as: team-work, self-confidence and resilience.
- Open to youth workers from across the Commonwealth
Nominations will be assessed according to:
- Impact on young people’s lives – evidence of how the youth worker has made an impact on the lives of young people
- Impact of youth work skills – evidence to show that it was their use of youth work skills that made the difference in the work with young people
- Impact on the wider community – the impact the youth worker’s intervention had on the community and families
- Challenges in delivery – how the applicant overcame challenges in delivering their work with young people.
How to Nominate
Nominate a youth worker by downloading and completing the official form. Completed forms should be emailed to [email protected] by 30 August 2014.
Also view the Youth Work Week Open Letter to Youth Workers.
For more information, visit Commonwealth Youth Worker Awards.