2014 Internship Opportunities at Global Financial Integrity (GFI) – Washington, D.C.
Deadline: August 15, 2014 The Global Financial Integrity (GFI) is now accepting applications for the Internships for the Fall Term 2014. Global Financial Integrity is a Washington-based research and advocacy organization that analyzes and works to curtail illicit financial flows resulting from crime, corruption, and tax evasion. GFI promotes national and multilateral policies, safeguards, and agreements aimed at curtailing the cross-border flow of illegal money. In putting forward solutions, facilitating strategic partnerships, and conducting groundbreaking research, GFI is leading the way in efforts to curtail illicit financial flows and enhance global development and security. Internship Openings and Details Employer: Global Financial Integrity Location: Washington, D.C. Internship Tenure: Fall Term 2014 (September to December; start and end dates are flexible) 1. Economics Internship The unpaid Economics intern will work directly with the economics team here in our Washington D.C. office and assist in the research and writing of academic papers which study illicit capital flight and its effect on economic development and global financial stability. He/she must demonstrate initiative, solid research and writing abilities, organizational skills, and most importantly have an interest in macroeconomics and development issues. Responsibilities
- Research and data collection from macroeconomic online databases [IMF, World Bank, Central Banks]
- Perform literature reviews and research in scholarly databases
- Compilation and manipulation of spreadsheets, tables and graphs in Excel
- Some of our econ interns have the opportunity to write and publish small pieces on applied economic issues pertaining to illicit capital flight on our blog.
- Must be a current student or recent graduate, with a major or minor in Economics. Must have coursework or commensurate experience in econometrics and international finance and/or trade.
- Experience with database manipulation in Excel [familiarity with Visual Basic (VBA) a plus].
- Solid writing and web-based research skills.
- Familiarity with basic regression analysis [familiarity with EViews and/or STATA a plus].
- Strong interest in macroeconomics, in particular capital flight and its effect on capitalism, development, and security.
2. New Media & Advocacy Internship The unpaid fall New Media & Advocacy Intern will work with the communications team in our Washington D.C. office to assist in promoting GFI’s message and research in the media and online. The communications team routinely fields and responds to press inquiries from the biggest news outlets around the world—including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, the Financial Times, The Economist, The New Yorker, The Guardian, BBC News, CNN, NBC, ABC, Reuters, and Bloomberg News, among others. The New Media and Advocacy Intern will have the opportunity to work closely with and learn from some of the top communicators in the field. He/she must demonstrate initiative, solid writing and organizational skills, and have an interest in anti-corruption or development issues. A political mindset and/or graphic design skills would be particularly helpful. Responsibilities
- Managing daily news digest: compiling relevant current news pertaining to GFI issues and distributing to supporters;
- Conducting research and compiling statistics for editorial and web materials;
- Assisting with the organization’s viral media and social networking operations;
- Contributing to organizational blog; and
- Fact checking media materials; occasionally drafting and laying out statements, op-eds, press releases, and website content.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Familiarity with Google News;
- Strong writing and web-based research skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Interest in international policy and global finance issues; and
- Non-English language skills are preferred (especially French and/or Spanish) but not required.
Must have at least one of the following:
- Previous communications experience and/or experience working with media;
- Experience writing blog pieces, or coordinating a blog with multiple contributors;
- Experience with social-networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, preferably experience managing an organization’s page;
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite.
3. Policy Internship The unpaid Policy Intern at Global Financial Integrity will develop an understanding of illicit capital flight and how it deepens poverty for millions of people worldwide. He/she must demonstrate initiative, strong organizational skills, attention to detail, solid writing abilities and an interest in development issues and the challenges facing poor countries. Responsibilities
- Assisting the President and Managing Director by conducting research on money laundering, tax evasion, corruption and the banking structure that supports these activities.
- Assisting the Senior Program Officer on work related to business development and on existing research and event projects.
- Occasionally assisting the Office Manager with general administrative tasks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Ability to successfully work independently with minimal supervision.
- Interest in capital flight and its effect on capitalism, development, and security.
- Non-English language skills are preferred, especially French and/or Spanish, but not required.
Application Details To Apply for any of the above internships: Please send resume and cover letter by email to [email protected], directed to Russell Bennett. Please put “GFI Econ Intern” in the subject line of your email and in your cover letter, please specify the following
- dates and times of availability
- where you learned about the internship
- an acknowledgement that the internship is unpaid.
Timeline: Applications will be accepted through August 15th and interviewing will be on a rolling basis. For more information, visit Global Finanical Integrity Internships.