Call for Entries into the Splendid Literature Series 2014
Deadline: October 31, 2014
The Splendid Foundation invites entries from all over Nigeria for the Splendid Literature Series. This annual competition hopes to select and publish the best twelve unpublished stories by young Nigerian writers of children’s literature resident in Nigeria.
Entries must fall within one of these two categories:
- Junior: An original unpublished story in English written for children between the ages of 8 and 12. Length: Up to 5,000 words
- Senior: An original unpublished story in English written for young adults between the ages of 13 and 17. Length: Up to 10,000 words
Entry Requirements and Eligibility
- All entries must be original, unpublished prose works in English.
- Plays and poems are not eligible.
- Entries should entertain and enlighten, and have strong Nigerian/African content.
- Entrants are not expected to illustrate their stories.
- Entrants must be between the ages of 11 and 21.
Other Entry Criteria
- Entries should take into consideration appropriate language and subject matter relevant to the readers’ experience and interest.
- The best six stories in each category will be selected by the Foundation’s Panel of Judges for publication in an anthology.
- The panel of judges will assess each entry on its depth, originality, quality of writing and appeal to intended audience.
- The usual royalty and publication terms will apply to every story published by the Foundation.
- The copyright of each entry will remain vested in the author, unless otherwise agreed in writing by the entrant and the Foundation.
- Submissions should be typewritten or legibly handwritten, double-spaced, on numbered pages. Illegible entries will be disqualified.
- Include name, address, phone number and email address on the title page of the manuscript, with only the full name of entrant on each numbered page of the submission.
- Entries must be submitted under the entrant’s real name. Pseudonyms will not be accepted.
- Not more than one entry per entrant will be allowed.
- Submissions should be accompanied by evidence of Nigerian citizenship (photocopied/scanned copy of birth certificate, Nigerian passport or Nigerian ID Card).
- Any entry that does not meet any of the conditions above will be disqualified.
- Members and employees of the Splendid Literature & Culture Foundation are not eligible.
How to Submit
For online submission, ensure that you attach your entry, and email to [email protected].
Submit four (4) copies of the entry manuscript to Splendid Literature & Culture
Foundation: 31, Alhaji Tokan Street, Alaka Estate, Surulere, Lagos or P.O. Box
7328, GPO, Lagos.
For more details, please visit Splendid Foundation.