NED Grants for NGOs Worldwide Working for Democracy
Deadline: October 3, 2014
NGOs Worldwide working for the promotion for the human rights and democracy are invited by the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) to the 2014 NED Grants for NGOs.
Each year the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) makes direct grants to hundreds of non-governmental organizations worldwide working to advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions. NED is interested in proposals from local, independent organizations for nonpartisan programs that seek to:
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law;
- Support freedom of information and independent media;
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values;
- Promote accountability and transparency;
- Strengthen civil society organizations;
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions;
- Promote civic education;
- Support democratic conflict resolution;
- Promote freedom of association;
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy.
- Grant amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects, but the average grant lasts 12 months is around $50,000.
- NED funds only non-governmental organizations, which may include civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar organizations.
- NED encourages applications from organizations working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
NED does not make grants to individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities. Decisions are made on a quarterly basis by the NED Board of Directors. The Board considers the following factors:
- how a program fits within the Endowment’s overall priorities;
- its relevance to specific needs and conditions in a particular country;
- the democratic commitment and experience of the applicant.
All applications must include the following items:
- Proposal Cover Sheet;
- Proposal Narrative;
- Interim Assessment (for renewal proposals only);
- Proposal Budget;
- Registration Documents (if applicable).
Interested applicants will be asked to create a user account for their organization. If you have previously applied online, you may log in using your organization’s existing account.
It is also possible to apply by fax (+1 202 378-9407) or by post:
Attn: Grant Proposals
1025 F Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20004 USA
For more information, visit NED Grants for NGOs Worldwide Working for Democracy.