Call for Applications: UNAOC Fellowship Programme 2014
Deadline: October 26, 2014
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is accepting applications for the 2014 UNAOC Fellowship Programme. Up to 15 selected emerging leaders from Europe and North America will be invited on an exposure visit to three or four countries in the Middle East and North Africa during the first half of December 2014.
The exposure visit of EUNA emerging leaders to the MENA region is an opportunity for them to deepen their understanding of the realities, perceptions, challenges and achievements of key sectors of life in the MENA region. The exposure visits will allow fellows to engage with prominent personalities and institutions in areas such as government, international organizations, civil society, media, social impact entrepreneurs, religion and culture.
About the Fellowship
The Fellowship Programme is based on the recognition that intercultural exposure and dialogue are powerful tools to generate nuanced positions and mutual understanding as the basis for positive and respectful cooperation between cultures. In particular, the Fellowship Programme intends to facilitate positive cooperation and understanding between the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Europe and North America (EUNA) by supporting emerging leaders from these regions to develop a nuanced understanding of each other.
Since its launch in 2010, the Fellowship Programme has provided emerging leaders from these societies with opportunities to get more familiar with the diverse realities and cultural environments of other cultures. The Fellowship programme counts on an active alumni network of 110 emerging leaders across the two regions.
Call for Applications 2014 EUNA Fellows [DOC]
- National of a North American or European country. (For this fellowship, North America will include the USA and Canada. Europe refers to Geographical Europe)
- 26-38 years old
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Possess a passport valid at least 6 months beyond December 2014
- Available to travel for a period of up to 15 days in the first half of December 2014 as scheduled by UNAOC
- Professional activity in one of these areas: civil society organizations, traditional and social media, politics, government, community movements/initiatives, faith based organizations, social impact entrepreneurship, academia, think tanks or other field relevant to the objective of the programme.
- Business persons or applicants working in the private sector will have to clearly demonstrate the social impact and community orientation of their activity or that of their business.
If you pass these eligibility criteria, your application will be evaluated as explained below.
- Accomplished professional recognized by your community (based on your CV).
- Potential to become a key leader in your field of work able to influence opinions and take concrete initiatives in your community. (Short essay)
- Demonstrates willingness to engage for positive cooperation with MENA societies or on MENA related issues. (Short essay)
- Demonstrates concrete ideas to build on the Fellowship Programme experience in his/her current professional and community activity. (Short essay)
- Demonstrates concrete ideas in which he/she will contribute to the Fellowship Alumni network
- Demonstrate existing interest or intention to engage with the MENA region. (Short essay) *
*The Fellowship Programme is looking for EUNA individuals that have an existing interest for the MENA region as a means to ensure future engagement with MENA will actually take place. At the same time, it is also looking for individuals who will gain from the experience of being exposed to the MENA region.
How to apply
Email the following documents no later than 26 October 2014 11pm (New York time) to [email protected]
1. Application form (see application guidelines)
2. CV (in English)
3. Passport scan
NOTE: Make sure you send these 3 documents in a single email before the deadline. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit download the Call for Applications 2014 EUNA Fellows [DOC].