Scottish Universities’ International Summer School – Edinburgh (Scholarships Available)
Deadline: April 24, 2015
Applications are now invited for the Scottish Universities’ International Summer School (SUISS) taking place from 6th July to 15th August, 2015 in Edinburgh, the world’s first UNESCO City of Literature. SUISS was founded as a non-profit organisation by Professor David Daiches in 1947. In the spirit of the Edinburgh International Festival, SUISS brings together students and academics who, irrespective of their national, religious, or cultural difference, share a love of literature.
Each summer, SUISS offers an intense, challenging and diverse programme of study. They offer:
- three courses in Text and Context: British and Irish Literature from 1900 to the Present
- one course in Creative Writing, and
- one course in Contemporary British and Irish Theatre and Performance.
Their Literature courses offer extensive examination of Modernism, Scottish Literature and Contemporary Literature, while our Creative Writing course allows students to develop their personal writing portfolios. Next year will see the launch of the Theatre and Performance course, which will coincide with the Edinburgh Festivals and be delivered in partnership with the Scottish Playwrights’ Studio.
SUISS is affiliated with seven prestigious Scottish universities: The University of Aberdeen, The University of Dundee, The University of Edinburgh, The University of Glasgow, The Open University in Scotland, The University of St Andrews and The University of Strathclyde.
The courses at SUISS are intensive, flexible, and attract students of a high calibre. SUISS has much to offer students of various levels of academic experience.
- Applications particularly those who have at least two years of undergraduate university education. In addition to undergraduate students, SUISS has also been valuable for postgraduates and teachers, who often make use of The National Library of Scotland’s and The University of Edinburgh’s extensive library resources for their own research.
SUISS is able to offer full and partial scholarships for applicants who are from specific countries, who specialize in certain subjects, or for exceptional literature students who would be unable to attend SUISS without financial assistance.
When making your application, please indicate for which scholarship you are applying on page 4 of the regular application form (there is no separate application for scholarships). Be sure to include a letter explaining why you wish to be considered. One of your referees should also support your scholarship application in his/her letter of reference.
Applications must be received no later than Friday, 20th March 2015. Awards are made on the basis of genuine financial need, academic merit and the contribution which the candidate seems likely to make to the general life of the School.
- Saltire Scholarship for Scottish Literature
- David Daiches Scholarship
- John McGrath Scholarship for Theatre Studies
- Greek Scholarship
- Middle Eastern Scholarship
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarship
- Edwin Morgan Translation Fellowship
- Scottish Czech Slovak Scholarship Fund
- Universitas 21 Scholarships
Please visit this link to read more about the above scholarships and see which you are eligible to apply. The scholarship application deadline is March 20, 2015.
Travel and Insurance: Students are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to Edinburgh. We strongly recommend applying for comprehensive insurance to cover travel, health, belongings, and cancellation/curtailment costs.
Download an application form from using the links below. Applications should be submitted by post or by email to [email protected] All applicants will be informed of the result of their application within one month of applying.
For more information, visit Scottish Universities’ International Summer School.