Submit Entries for the 31st Eisaku Sato Essay Contest
Deadline: March 31, 2015
Entries are now accepted for the 31st Eisaku Sato Essay Contest. The theme of the 2015 contest is: “Describe the current relationship between the USA and China with reference to their respective responsibilities and roles in international society. Discuss how the United Nations could work with these two superpowers in order to tackle global issues more effectively.”
The Eisaku Sato Essay Contest was inaugurated in 1980, and has been held annually since 1990. It is organized by the Eisaku Sato Memorial Foundation for Cooperation with the United Nations University, which was established by the late Eisaku Sato, former Prime Minister of Japan, with the monetary award that he received with his 1974 Nobel Peace Prize.
- A grand prize – ¥500,000
- A second prize – ¥200,000
- And several honorable mentions – ¥50,000 each will be awarded.
Winners who are able to attend will receive their prizes at a ceremony to be held at the United Nations University in Tokyo.
- This international contest is open to anyone who has an interest in both the United Nations University and the designated contest topic.
- There are no restrictions as to age, nationality or profession.
- Essays may be written in either English (3,000–6,000 words) or Japanese (8,000–16,000 characters). All essays should be typed on A4-size paper and include an abstract of up to 450 words (English) or 1,200 characters (Japanese).
- Submissions must be original and unpublished papers, and must include reference notes and a bibliography if other authors’ works are cited.
To enter the contest, submit four copies of your essay along with a cover sheet listing your name, affiliation, age, gender, nationality, mailing address, and (if available) telephone/fax number and e-mail address, to:
The Eisaku Sato Essay Contest Secretariat
c/o United Nations University Library
5-53-70 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku
Tokyo 150-8925, Japan
Please note that submitted essays will not be returned. Any essay that does not follow the criteria specified above will be disqualified.