Hot Job: Communications Manager Wanted at European Students Union – Brussels, Belgium
Deadline: March 25, 2015
The European Students’ Union (ESU) is looking for a team player to fill the position of a Communications’ Officer at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. European Students’ Union (ESU) is the umbrella organisation of 47 national unions of students from 39 countries, and through these members they represent over 11 million students. The aim of ESU is to represent and promote the educational, social, economic and cultural interests of students at a European level towards all relevant bodies and in particular the European Union, Bologna Follow-Up Group, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
ESU actively promotes students’ rights and equal opportunities for all individuals in higher education. The Communications Officer will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating external and internal communication, updating ESU’s profile and image and contributing to the further development of ESU’s administrative tools and procedures.
Responsibilities and areas of work
Managing and facilitating external and internal communication, namely by:
- Getting the ESU messages across to European and international political institutions and media as well as national governments and relevant non-governmental organisations
- Writing articles and compiling information for ESU’s website and monthly external newsletter, The Student Voice
- Coordinating press releases
- Preparing ESU’s publications, including project publications
- Promoting and disseminating ESU events, projects, publications, campaigns and statements to other stakeholders and wider public
- Liaising with relevant media and related institutions
- Moderating internal and external email lists and intranet
- Handling external enquiries and requests
- Co-operating with other ESU staff or elected representatives on ESU events’ organizing
- Maintaining databases of external contacts.
Upgrading and updating ESU’s institutional image, namely by:
- Developing ESU’s visual identity
- Further developing and updating ESU’s website
- Social media channels’ management
- Preparing promotional materials
- Leading practical, technical, lay-outing and graphic design work with development of ESU publications.
Further developing the administration of the organisation, namely by:
- Cooperating with other ESU elected and secretariat members on ESU promotional and fundraising activities
- Developing and managing the back office/intranet and e-mail service of the organization
- Finding new ways to facilitate better internal and external communications
- Sharing daily secretariat tasks with other secretariat members.
Ideal Starting Date: April 13, 2015
Location: Brussels, Belgium
A Gross salary of 2.400,00 EUR/month for 37,5 hours per week. Additionally, ESU offers food vouchers for the amount of 6,00 EUR per working day; Indeterminate employment contract (including an initial trial period) Based in Brussels, occasional travel.
The ideal candidate should have:
- A degree or comparable experience within the areas Public Relations, ICT, journalism, communication, graphic design, and/or marketing
- Knowledge and/or experience in working promotional activities
- Knowledge and/or experience in layouting and graphic design
- A native/near-native command of English (spoken and written), the official language of ESU. Additional knowledge of one or more European languages is highly desirable, particularly French or Dutch
- Excellent ICT skills (Web development, MS Office, Photoshop, cloud storage systems, etc.)
- Expertise and experience in working with all forms of social media (facebook, twitter, etc.)
The following knowledge and/or skills are considered advantageous :
- Knowledge of the European institutions and other target audiences related to higher education
- Any working experience with non-profit student/youth organisations, preferably student unions
Candidate should be a well-organised and hard-working team player, be able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment and stick to tight deadlines.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a CV, a motivation letter, work portfolio, as well as any references and/or letters of recommendations by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 CET on 25th March 2015.
For more information, visit European Students Union