2015 Nelson Mandela Essay Challenge- $1000 Cash Award
Deadline: May 15,2015
African Youth Union (AYU) invites youths to participate in its annual Nelson Mandela Essay Challenge. This essay challenge was introduced to preserve and honor the legacy of Nelson Mandela for a better Africa. It also aims to inspire young people to learn from Mandela and to think about how each of them can use the Mandela inspiration to make a difference in the world.
The theme for this year’s essay is “My Role as the Mandela of Today”.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate and prize of R10,000 ($1000)
- 2nd Prize:Certificate and prize of R5,000 ($500)
- 3rd Prize:Certificate and gift 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention:Certificate and gift 20 entrants
- 1st prize winners will be invited an award ceremony in Kampala, Uganda scheduled for Mandela Day 2015. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers.)
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, and School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
This competition is open to young person under the age of 24 (as of July 18, 2015). There are two categories:
a) Children (ages up to 14)
b) Youth (ages 15 -25)
- Essays must be no longer than 700 words in English.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. In this case please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the submitted essays will be assigned to the AYU.
How to Enter
Complete entry form here and type your essay on the provided section.