Apply for the YALI Regional Leadership Program 2015 – Nairobi, Kenya (fully-funded)
Deadline: Not specified
YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is now accepting applications for the Nairobi Program taking place at the main campus of Kenyatta University located on Thika Road in Nairobi, Kenya. The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is a philosophy, a forward-leaning culture of diversity that invites dreaming and thinking differently to define and realize one’s potential. They are looking for young men and women who are ready to embrace leadership and work hard to transform their countries.
Selected participants will engage in innovative leadership training across three tracks of study by immersing themselves in a 12-week format (three weeks of residential learning on-site at the Center in Nairobi, eight weeks of virtual distance learning via technology from your home country, and a final week on-site at the Center in Nairobi for wrap-up and presentations). During the program, participants in their chosen track will be required to contribute individually and in teams to an interactive and experiential education course through project-based development and achievement.
There are three tracks to choose from:
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Civic Leadership
- Public Management
Participants may only participate in one of the tracks which aligns most closely with their current and/or future career or vocational achievements and/or aspirations. Read the descriptions of each track carefully before making your selection.
- Networking: Build a leadership network throughout East Africa
- Mentorship: Gain experience and guidance from proven leaders
- Scholarship: Learn cutting-edge leadership techniques
- Trusteeship: Build better communities by becoming involved in shaping the future
- Technology: Study in a high-tech environment that brings leadership skills to your front door
- Collaboration: Work in teams, embrace innovation, learn by doing
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center, East Africa – Nairobi program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Kenya (if required);
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Nairobi, Kenya;
- Transportation to/from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, East Africa – Nairobi for all non-Kenyan participants;
- For Kenyans, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, East Africa – Nairobi will be provided for from your location of residence;
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan;
- Housing and meals; and
- Stipend to cover miscellaneous costs when in Nairobi.
* The Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Kenya if you are residing within one of the countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center, East Africa – Nairobi. If you reside outside of the defined region, YALI will only pay the cost of transportation to/from Nairobi from your country of citizenship and you will be required to cover any additional costs
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center, East Africa – Nairobi is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission;
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.;
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya; and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement;
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others;
- Strong social and communication skills;
- An energetic, positive attitude;
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected; and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit of your country and/or community after the program.
How to Apply
For more information, visit YALI Regional Leadership Program.