2015 UN Human Rights Fellowship for Africans- Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline: July 1, 2015
UN Human Rights is accepting applications for its 2015 Fellowship Program. This Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent provides the participants with an intensive learning opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent. The Fellowship Programme will allow the participants to better contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries.
In the framework of the Programme of Activities for the Implementation of the International Decade for People of African Descent, this year the programme will coincide with the first session of the UN Forum for People of African Descent. This will enable the fellows to attend and contribute to the work of the secretariat of the Forum and to the Forum itself.
The Fellowship will be held from 2 to 20 November 2015 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The candidate must be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African Descent.
- The candidate needs to have sufficient command of the English language to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- The candidate has to submit a letter of support from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights.
- The candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme. The selected fellows will be expected to participate in different activities and to strictly follow the programme.
Each fellow is entitled to
- a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva;
- basic health insurance;
- and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in one single e-mail to [email protected] or fax them at +41 22 928 90 50:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter of Support from the nominating organization or community
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
Please note that submissions with more than five attachments will not be accepted.
Important: Please mention in the subject header of your e-mail: “Application for the 2015 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent.”
Name the attached document as follows:LAST NAME First name – Type of document
Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – Letter of Support.pdf
SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdf
For more information visit UN Human Rights.