Deadline: October 3, 2015
The International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) is pleased to announce its first ever cross-border reporting trip to Rwanda/DRC and second reporting trip to Uganda. Ten women journalists will report on conservation and sustainable agriculture in Rwanda/DRC from January 26 – February 12, 2016. Concurrently, a group of six journalists will cover themes of democracy and governance in Uganda.
These opportunities are part of the African Great Lakes Reporting Initiative, created in 2014 and designed to support women journalists interested in pursuing stories that go beyond the well-established narratives of political instability, armed conflicts, and humanitarian crisis in the region.
Reporting fellowships include ten days on the ground plus a day or two for travel. The first three days consist of comprehensive security training and expert briefings. Fellows then participate in one week of in-country independent reporting as well as group activities.
- Women journalists of all nationalities are welcome to apply.
- Applicant must be a woman journalist.
- Applicant must have at least 3 years professional experience in journalism. Journalists working in print, broadcast, or digital media, including freelancers, are eligible.
- Non-native English speakers must have excellent written and verbal English skills in order to fully participate in and benefit from the program.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate support from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
The IWMF pays for fellowship-related expenses within the framework of the reporting trip including visas, travel, lodging, meals and fixers/interpreters unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs. The IWMF does not cover the cost of immunizations.
How to Apply
- Submit the online application for each specific trip
- Applications include basic details, a statement of interest including a researched story pitch, CV, work samples, and either a letter of support from an editor or a proven track record of publication.
- All applications materials must be submitted in English.