African Development Bank – ASLF seeks Junior Legal Consultant to work in Abidjan
Deadline: February 26 2016
The African Legal Support Facility (ASLF) unit of the African Development Bank is currently recruiting legal consultants to assist in the operations of the Facility in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. In accordance with its vision of achieving sustainable legal capacity in Africa, the ALSF mission is to provide legal advice services and capacity building to African countries on creditor litigation matters, complex commercial transactions and related sovereign contracts.
The suitable qualified consultant shall assist the Director and the Chief Legal Counsel in i) legal analysis and advisory work and ii) project supervision and management. He or she will assist in providing legal advice to African countries relating to commercial creditor litigation, contract negotiations, and capacity building.
The consultant will report to the Chief Legal Counsel who will adequately brief and guide the consultant.
- Assess country requests for legal assistance and prepare project concept notes and reports to the Director and Management Board of the Facility regarding requests;
- Draft briefs regarding legal due diligence required to carry out proposed operations;
- Assist in recruiting and managing external legal counsel, including negotiating fee arrangements;
- Prepare financial proposals for proposed legal engagements and manage the project from request through implementation;
- Regularly liaise and interact with senior government officials to discuss legal interventions;
- Contribute to compilation of precedents in creditor litigation and best practices in negotiating complex commercial transactions;
- Liaise with partners, co-financiers and facilitate cooperation with other development partners;
- Draft policy documents on operational matters relating to the Facility;
- Ensuring that, if required, documents presented to the Management Board and Governing Council are accurately translated into the official languages of the Facility in a timely fashion;
- Perform such other assignments as may be required from time to time by the Supervisor and Director of the Facility.
Duration of the Assignment
The assignment will last for six (6) months, starting in April 2016 and ending in October 2016. The consultant will be based in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
The consultant shall be paid a total monthly lump sum, comprising fee, subsistence or other incidentals, for the duration of the assignment, which is commensurate with the number of years of work experience. The ALSF will cover travel and field mission costs (if any) as per African Development Bank rules in this regard.
- A Minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Law plus admission to the Bar of a member of the African Development Bank.
- Relevant Skills and Experience: Between two (2) and five (5) year of relevant work experience including experience in at least one of the following areas:
- i. International arbitration or litigation case management;
- ii. Project Finance contract negotiation and drafting with an emphasis on Public Private partnerships;
- iii. Gas production sharing agreement negotiation and drafting; OR
- iv. Mineral development agreement negotiation and drafting.
- Demonstrated effective coordination skills and an ability to work under pressure in a multicultural environment to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Must be a citizen of a member country of the African Development Bank. Preference will be given to candidates from Regional Member Countries of the African Development Bank.
- In addition to the foregoing, the consultant should possess:
- i. High level of integrity, moral values, discretion and confidentiality;
- ii. Willingness to undertake extensive travel (up to 30% of time);
- iii. Competence in the use of standard IT software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- The Consultant should be under 32 years of age.
The selection will be based on the applicant’s CV and the evaluation criteria will be as follows:
- General qualification and suitability for the task to be performed
- Experience in the specific assignment
- Experience with international donor agencies
- Language capacity
- Knowledge of the region
For more information and to apply, visit ADB – ASLF.