Deadline: February 8, 2016
The Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights (YCSRR) invites applications from young people who are passionate about SRHR to apply to join their team of youth advocates! The work that they do is focused on advocacy at the international level. Specifically, their members attend international conferences and meetings where they advocate for youth sexual and reproductive rights.
YCSRR is an international organization of young people (ages 18-29 years) committed to promoting adolescent and youth sexual and reproductive rights at the national, regional and international levels. We are students, researchers, lawyers, health care professionals, educators, development workers, and most importantly, we are all dedicated activists.
Together, they work to ensure that the sexual and reproductive rights of all young people are respected, guaranteed and promoted, and strive to secure the meaningful participation of young people in decision-making that affects the lives of young people and adolescents. They do this through advocating, generating knowledge, sharing information, building partnerships and training young activists.
The YCSRR relies on an active volunteer membership. Most of their work is done virtually, and takes place via an interactive online platform, as well as through email and Skype.
On the whole, the work that they do is focused on advocacy at the international level. Specifically, their members attend international conferences and meetings where they advocate for youth sexual and reproductive rights.
- Open to young people who are passionate about sexual and reproductive health and rights and are eager to further their experience through international advocacy work.
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 29 and support and promote their principles and values.
- Young people from different backgrounds, with varying skills and experiences are welcome to apply. They accept up to two members per country.
- As their working language is English, members must possess sufficient listening, speaking, reading and writing English skills.
- Members are required to devote a minimum of 7 hours per week to YC activities, which includes responding to emails and contributing to online discussions
- Previous knowledge of international-level advocacy and policy instruments (e.g. the International Conference on Population and Development’s Programme of Action, the Post-2015 process, etc.) is considered an asset.
Desirable skills and competencies include:
- Strong leadership skills
- Facilitation skills
- Experience in public health
- Ahuman rights background
- Agender justice or feminist background
- Development experience
- Public speaking skills
- Research and writing experience
- Experience with policy analysis
- Communications skills (social media, graphic design, etc.)
- Experience in organizing advocacy campaigns
How to Apply
If you feel you meet the criteria to become a member of the Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights, please follow these steps to apply:
- Submit all documents to [email protected] by February 8th, 2016. No late applications will be considered.
- Once your application is submitted, the membership committee will review it. You will be informed of the status of your application by the end of February 2016. Applicants who move on to the next level will be invited to participate in a Skype interview.
Documents to be included:
- A completed application form (download: YCSRR Membership Application Form)
- Your resumé or curriculum vitae, and
- One letter of reference from a teacher, colleague, friend, etc. (letter can be in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian or Arabic) describing your involvement in sexual and reproductive rights work, your work in youth advocacy, and your English proficiency (if applicable).
If you have any questions about YCSRR or the membership application process, feel free to contact us at [email protected].
For more information, visit Youth Coalition.