Deadline: February 22, 2016
The World Bank Group (WBG or the Group) is currently accepting applications for the position of African Regional Head. The Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), as a part of the World Bank Group, enhances the flow of capital and technology to developing countries by providing credit enhancement and investment insurance against non-commercial risks in developing countries. MIGA has a strategic focus to support investments in IDA countries and into Fragile and Conflict Affected Situations (FCS).
- Managing the staff and the activities of the Africa Regional Team.
- Being responsible for growing the Guarantees business in Africa by leading business development initiatives, quality management, and ensuring consistency of MIGA guarantees with WBG regional and country strategies.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with investor clients and government officials to facilitate the provision of MIGA products and services, including the CAFEF facility, and maintain collaborative working relationships with other private businesses, banking and multilateral / bilateral partners in the countries in which MIGA operates.
- Developing close relationships with IFC and World Bank Africa region senior management in order to collaborate in meeting World Bank Group development objectives.
- Organizing and attending events to promote MIGA’s brand and business in Africa.
- Representing MIGA in consultations and meetings both within and outside the World Bank Group on key issues related to Africa, fragile-states and conflict areas.
- In conjunction with the CAFEF coordinator in MIGA’s headquarters, assisting in the implementation of the marketing plan for CAFEF and reporting any issues of interest or concern on a regular basis to the CAFEF coordinator.
- Working with MIGA Sector Managers and underwriters as needed when a new application is received to facilitate the transition to the underwriter and ensure excellent client service.
- Performing other tasks related to MIGA’s business development and outreach efforts in Africa as requested, including coordinating visits to African countries that have the most potential for MIGA’s future business.
MIGA is looking for a seasoned professional who combines technical expertise in political risk insurance (PRI) and finance as well as management experience, along with a comprehensive understanding of Africa and the role of international development assistance in the Region.
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Sustained record of achieving high-quality substantive results over an extended period (typically at least 10 years)
- Advanced degree (MBA or Master’s) in international business, finance, economics or related field, plus 10-15 years of directly relevant experience (such as political risk underwriting, project finance, or corporate finance in emerging markets)
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS
- Extensive knowledge of emerging markets finance and economic development. An understanding of political risk insurance and demonstrated credit skills preferred
- A proven track record in delivering high quality results, and experience with the private sector
- Demonstrated ability to identify new business opportunities in emerging markets
LEADERSHIP SKILLS / PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Strong client relationship management skills, as well as sensitivity to social and cultural issues as they affect multilateral risk mitigation and investors going into developing countries
- Excellent demonstrated leadership skills and an ability to work as part of a team within the Agency, and with the senior management of the World Bank Group (World Bank and IFC)
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and experience in working across boundaries
- Outstanding communication skills; able to make persuasive oral and written presentations
- Ability to make forward-looking and practical decisions with a bias towards a results and implementation culture; focuses on the big picture and overall strategic framework for development
- High degree of discretion, ethics, tack and sensitivity in handling confidential and sensitive information; ability to maintain high standard of personal integrity
- Proficiency in French or Portuguese is preferred
WBG CORE COMPETENCIES for all staff:
- Client Orientation
- Drive for Results
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 4 year term appointment.
For more information and to apply, visit World Bank Group Africa Regional Head.