Enter the Nikon Small World Photomicrography Contest 2017
Deadline: April 30, 2017
The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
The competition is open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope. Truly international in scope, entries have been received from the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Winners have included both professionals and hobbyists.
Top 20 prize winners are selected and ranked by Small World Judges
- 1st Prize – $3,000
- 2nd Prize – $2,000
- 3rd Prize – $1,000
- 4th Prize – $800
- 5th Prize – $600
- 6th Prize – $400
- 7th-10th Prizes – $300 each
- 11th-20th Prizes – $200 each
- Honorable Mentions – $100 each
- Images of Distinction – Nikon Backpack (or equivalent)
Prizes for top 3 winners are paid by check in US funds and other prizes are paid by Visa gift card also in US funds. Winners responsible for all applicable taxes.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment;
- Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won, but can win other prizes;
- Any image that has won any other photomicrography competition is not eligible;
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable. Electron and any other microscopes that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not permitted;
- Macro Photography is not permitted;
- The use of Nikon equipment is not required;
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content;
- Technical Proficiency;
- Artistic and Visual Impact.
- Set up a Small World Entrant Account, which will allow you to create a contestant profile, view your entries and update your images and videos before the submission deadline. If you don’t wish to register for an account, you may still enter the competition as a guest.
- Images must be submitted as follows:
- Digitally: Uploading to the Small World Competition entry area here. Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified. Files must be in jpeg, png, psd, or tiff format. (Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.)
- For images on film, a 35mm mounted transparency will be accepted. Glass mounts are not accepted.
- Each entrant may submit up to three images for judging. A completed and signed official entry form, facsimile, or complete Internet entry form must be used;
- A separate entry form must be used for Small World and Small World in Motion.
For more information, visit Nikon Small World Contest.