“Through Young Eyes” Photo Competition for UN World Wildlife Day 2017
Deadline: February 13, 2017
The United Nations World Wildlife Day 2017 (WWD2017) will be celebrated on 3 March under the theme “Listen to the young voices”. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) Secretariat, as the facilitator for the global celebration of the Day, launched a photo competition for the youth around the world titled “Through young eyes”.
WWD2017 will be a day to celebrate the many beautiful and varied forms of wild animals and plants, to raise awareness of the multitude of benefits that wildlife provides to people, and raise awareness of the urgent need to step up the fight against wildlife crime, in particular, the role of the youth in this cause. Organizers would like to see expression of all of these through your eyes! You can either show the beautiful features of wildlife using your artistic skill or to depict how the youth is actively engaged in the conservation of these amazing species that people are sharing the ecosystem with.
- One grand prize winner will be provided free air ticket to travel to New York as well as two-day accommodation in New York to attend a high level event at the United Nations Headquarters on March 3 to celebrate WWD2017.
- Anyone aged between 10 and 24, which is the age range defined by the United Nations as “youth”, can participate in this competition. Those below the age of 13 will need to have their parents’ permission, and will need to have parents (or a legal guardian) help with their submissions;
- The following submissions will be considered ineligible:
- Photographs of pets or domestic animals.
- Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright.
- As all photos must be fully original, no entries will be accepted or considered if they are deemed to use in whole or part derivative images which could be considered plagiaristic;
- Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified;
- Entries may originate in any format — including, but not limited to digital files, digital prints, color transparencies, color prints, or black and white prints — so long as they are submitted electronically in a .jpeg, .jpg, or.png format. Multiple exposures that have been combined to produce a single “High Dynamic Range” image are acceptable;
- Once selected, the winning designer must be able to work with the organizer to adapt the winning design into various formats for the promotion and use the photo;
- The maximum size of the file to be uploaded should be no more than 5 megabites at the time of entry. Higher resolutions files will be requested should an entry be selected as a finalist;
- If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted.
All photos must be submitted through the photo submission page.
For more information, visit Through Young Eyes – Photo Competition.