UNU-WIDER Development Conference 2017
Deadline: March 13, 2017
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER) will organize a two-day conference on public economics for development, in Maputo, Mozambique from July 5-6, 2017. This conference holds because despite successes in poverty reduction and improvements in health and educational outcomes in many low-income countries, development challenges remain extensive. They cannot be addressed effectively without a well-functioning public sector.
The conference focuses on the lessons from modern public and development economics which can guide policy makers to reform tax and public provision systems. The conference will take stock of current evidence on the impacts of the public sector on the economy and the wellbeing of citizens, and about ways to improve tax and public spending policies. An important goal of the conference is to identify avenues for future research.
- Travel support can be provided for one author per selected paper using the most economical travel route subject to UN guidelines; preference will be given to authors from developing countries. If required, UNU-WIDER can also provide visa support;
- UNU-WIDER will provide hotel accommodation and most meals during the conference. There is no conference fee.
- Open to participants from the academic, government, and development communities from all over the world;
- UNU-WIDER particularly encourages submissions from early-career, female, and developing country researchers.
Applicants are to complete the online application form
The application will include
- An up-to-date CV
- An abstract not exceeding 300 words which should summarize the research question, the main methods and data, and key findings of the paper and the larger implications of the research
- A full-length paper OR an extended abstract:
- the first page of the paper or extended abstract should include all author names and affiliations and the above-mentioned 300-word abstract
- in PDF format
- written in English
- the full-length paper should be 6,000-10,000 words long, whereas the extended abstract should be 1,500-1,800 words long
Any queries on the call for papers should be sent to [email protected] Previously unpublished papers presented at the conference will be considered for publication in the WIDER Working Paper series.
- March 13, 2017: Paper/extended abstract submission deadline
- April 13, 2017: Target date for acceptance/rejection notification
- June 1, 2017: Final papers due
- July 5-6, 2017: Conference
For more information, visit UNU-WIDER Development Conference.