Peace Education and the SDGs Summer Program in Latin America 2017 (Scholarships Available)
Deadline: April 25, 2017
Applications are open for the 2017 Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America Summer Program. This program is geared toward university students, and welcomes advanced high school students, graduate students, and life-long learners, participating individually or in groups. Peace Boat US will also offer two full scholarships to join the program. Please see details below.
Traveling to Panama, Nicaragua, and El Salvador, participants will learn about meaningful development experiences and peacebuilding in the Latin America region. Beginning in Panama, participants will visit the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) office, exchange with with indigenous communities, and learn from youth working for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Embarking onboard the Peace Boat in the port city of Cristobal, participants will pass through the Panama Canal and participate in lectures, cultural exchanges, and presentations on peace and sustainability issues while at sea. Arriving in Nicaragua, participants will learn about climate action and visit mangrove forests along the coast. After sailing to El Salvador, participants will disembark and join various educational activities including an exchange program at the University of Don Bosco in San Salvador.
- June 20 – Orientation in New York City at Peace Boat US Office, UN Plaza (or by Skype)
- June 21 – Fly to Panama City, hotel check-in, and welcome dinner
- June 22 – Visit UN Development Program regional office, session on Sustainable Development Goals in Latin America
- June 23 – Visit RET (Resilience, Education and Training) program for refugee youth in Panama
- June 24 – Study Program and cultural exchange with local indigenous communities in Panama
- June 25 – Embark on Peace Boat in Cristobal, Panama, onboard orientation
- June 26 – Panama Canal passage, preparation for lectures and study sessions onboard
- June 27 – Onboard lectures and workshops
- June 28 – Arrive in Nicaragua, Climate Action study program and mangrove forest visit. Return to ship for departure.
- June 29 – Arrive in El Salvador, disembark from Peace Boat, cultural exchange program
- June 30 – Visit University of Don Bosco in San Salvador, forum on Peace and Sustainability
- July 1-2 – Cultural exchange in El Salvador with local community groups focused on the SDGs
- July 3 – Return home
“Youth for the SDGs” Scholarship
Towards this aim, Peace Boat US is offering two full scholarships for young people working to advance the SDGs to join the “Peace Education and SDGs in Latin America” program.
The scholarship will cover the following:
- Airfare: NYC-Panama, and El Salvador-NYC (or equivalent price)
- Accommodation, meals, and travel onboard the Peace Boat and in ports of call for the duration of the program
- Travel insurance covering June 20 – July 3, 2017
- Ages 18-30 years old
- Youth who are currently involved in SDG-related initiatives
- All nationalities, pending visa confirmation for the included countries
- Applicants must currently have a passport valid through December 31, 2017
- Leadership skills
- Strong speaking and presentation ability ( in English )
- Experience volunteering or working in SDG-related initiatives
- Commitment and plans for continuing SDG-related work in the future
- In 500 words or less, please explain:
- Brief background of your experience with SDG related initiatives
- Why you want to join this program
- How you can use the experience to further your SDG-related work
- Statements can be submitted via email to [email protected]
- Applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm / 17:00 Eastern Standard Time on April 25, 2017
- Selected applicants will be contacted by April 30 to conduct an interview via Skype. Interviews will be conducted no later than May 5.
- Scholarship recipients must submit a copy of their passport, one photo, and program application form within one week of receiving notification from Peace Boat US
Applicants are encouraged to review the Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals website.
Applicants are also highly encouraged to participate in the UN Ocean Conference to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal #14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development, taking place at the UN Headquarters in New York City from June 5-9, 2017
For more information, visit Peace Education and the SDGs in Latin America.