Apply for the Global Change Leaders Program 2018 at Coady Institute in Canada (Fully-funded)
Deadline: September 7, 2017
Applications are now open for the 2018 Global Change Leaders (GCL) Program run by Coady Institute’s International Centre for Women’s Leadership in Nova Scotia, Canada. Established in 2011, the Global Change Leaders Program is a seven-week education program that enables women from developing countries to strengthen their leadership capacities in order to contribute to innovation and change in their organizations and communities. Women leaders from all developing countries may apply.
Program participants engage in learning grounded in real world experiences and focused on Coady’s core thematic areas. Through a shared learning environment with other emerging women leaders from around the world, participants are exposed to a range of experiences and the beginnings of a potentially lifelong network of support.
For 2018, the Global Change Leaders Program consists of two main components:
- May 9 – June 28, 2018: A seven week on-site intensive course at the Coady International Institute in Antigonish, Nova Scotia where a collaborative relationship is fostered among facilitators and participants to draw out lessons and insights from their rich and diverse experiences. This consists of:
- A foundation module, in which participants focus on leadership theories and essential competencies, analysis of gender, citizenship and power, practical understandings of these concepts and their application for women leaders within their own contexts, strengthening capacities for social innovations, partnership building in a multi-stakeholder environment, and enhancing abilities to realize citizen-driven asset-based development.
- A focus on gendered approaches for social, political and economic empowerment and community development, including addressing legitimacy and accountability in governance structures, building resilient communities and strengthening inclusive economies.
- A final module, in which participants articulate an action plan for how they will take their new learning home to provide leadership in their organizations and communities and continue to work towards empowering other women moving forward.
- July 1 – December 31, 2018: Participants will benefit from one-on-one mentoring from experienced women leaders upon their return home for up to six months to follow on the application of learning into practice. Mentors and mentees will be matched during the residency period based on specific needs and geographic locations. Participants will also join a global alumnae network of women leaders.
The Global Change Leaders program provides successful candidates with a scholarship that includes tuition, travel, accommodations, and meals. Successful participants are responsible for costs pertaining to acquiring a visa to enter Canada.
Program participants benefit from the guidance and mentorship of accomplished women leaders from around the world. The program is led by a core team of staff in the International Centre for Women’s Leadership and supported by other Coady faculty and associates.
- This program is targeted to emerging women leaders from developing countries who are working on development issues and have demonstrated leadership in a development sector for at least four years. These are women who:
- Possess a minimum of five years of demonstrated leadership experience in a social or economic development endeavor in sectors such as livelihoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment, access to education and health care, governance, political engagement of women and the rights of girls and women;
- Will be immediately returning to their community and sector following the program to put their learning into practice;
- Have great drive and passion for their work, demonstrated through their outstanding contributions in their organizations and communities;·
- Are practitioners in civil society organizations including community based organizations and not for profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movements or in a social enterprise/business;
- Hold a university degree or a combination of post-secondary education and experience; and
- Have strong oral and written English language competencies.
- Candidates must be from a country eligible for Official Development Assistance.
- Women who have held leadership roles at a senior level for a number of years should not apply for this certificate, but may be eligible for other Coady Education programs.
- Citizens and residents of OECD member countries are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Applicants are required to submit a written acknowledgement of ability to function within an English learning environment. The following are acceptable documents:
- TOEFL test score of at least 550, or IELTS score of at least 6.0
- Certificate from another accredited English language institute
- A letter of recommendation attesting to your English language ability from an instructor in a recognized institution where English was your language of study
Complete the online application form.
Applicants will be notified of their application outcome by November 30, 2017.
For more information, visit Global Change Leaders Program.