Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme 2018-2019 (Up to $30,000 Stipend Per Year)
Deadline: December 1, 2017
Do you want to study in Hong Kong? Then this fellowship opportunity is for you. The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities. Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) in 2009, the prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme has brought about one thousand five hundred top students from eighty countries/regions to Hong Kong to undertake PhD studies in world-class research universities in fields ranging from humanities, business and social sciences, to engineering, medical and physical sciences.
The RGC of the Hong Kong University Grants Committee (UGC) is committed to promoting world-class research in Hong Kong. More than 230 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2018/19 academic year.
- An annual stipend of HK$240,000 (approximately US$30,000).
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$10,000 (approximately US$1,300) per year to each awardee for a period of up to three years.
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete their PhD studies, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities.
- Any candidate can apply irrespective of their country of origin, ethnic background or prior work experience.
- Candidates must be seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight universities: City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, Lingnan University, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Education University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The University of Hong Kong.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
While candidates’ academic excellence is of primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence.
- Research ability and potential.
- Communication and interpersonal skills, and
- Leadership abilities.
- Eligible candidates should make their initial application to the RGC through the online system.
- After applying, you will obtain a HKPFS Reference Number before submitting full applications to their selected universities.
- To submit full application to your intended university, after obtaining your HKPFS Reference Number please visit here.