Job Opening: MEST Cape Town is hiring a General Manager!
Do you have what it takes to manage an organization which promotes tech and entrepreneurship for youths in Africa? Then apply to become a MEST Cape Town General Manager. In Cape Town, MEST is launching an exciting new co-working space at the Woodstock Exchange, and seeking a stellar General Manager.
The Melwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) offers aspiring entrepreneurs a fully sponsored, intensive 12 month Entrepreneur-in-Training (EIT) program, which infuses African tech enthusiasts with a combination of hard IT and practical business skills, equipping them to build successful commercial tech companies. At the end of the program, teams have the opportunity to pitch for funding and a seat at the MEST Incubator.
Since its inception, the Meltwater Foundation has supported aspiring African entrepreneurs through the training program and incubator. Over 350 individual entrepreneurs have graduated from the training program and over 30 tech companies have been launched via seed funding and mentorship from MEST.
- Job applicant for the position of General Manager should be someone with deep startup scaling experience (either supporting startups or a startup entrepreneur themselves).
- Applicant should be someone on the product-minded, growth hacker side.
- Applicant must also come with an unwavering commitment to enhancing the African tech community as well as a strong rolodex to tap into.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Startup Support: Day-to-day contact and mentor, supporting 3-5 early stage startups in the MEST South Africa portfolio.
- Required to have intimate knowledge of all aspects of the companies’ hurdles and growth. Advise on every stage of the startup lifecycle, from go-to-market strategy, customer acquisition, monetization, biz dev and beyond.
- Set KPIs with the teams and closely track to ensure continual progression, revenue, user growth, etc., and compile monthly KPI reporting to MEST management team.
- Oversee legal and compliance processes for portfolio companies.
- Preparation and participation in quarterly board meetings with MEST management team.
- Ambassador: Serve as the local ambassador and face of MEST in Cape Town (speaking opportunities at industry conferences and panels, press interviews as needed, and attending tech ecosystem events).
- Partnerships: Pursue business development efforts and establish relationships across industries and sectors to source potential partners and sponsors for the incubator.
- Continually build strong ties with relevant external stakeholders, including investors, corporates, banks, telcos, foundations, government, press and others in the local tech ecosystem
- Building the Network: Along with the Cape Town Community Manager, encourage cohesiveness of the Incubator community through organizing social events, business development opportunities and continuing education workshops.
- Assist with building out the design, culture, policies, practices, rituals of the Incubator to be the most effective working and meeting space for our entrepreneurs, team, and wider community.
- Fill in and submit your CV via the online application.
For more information, visit MEST Cape Town.