Deadline: October 3, 2017
Interested in helping to save the planet? United Nations Volunteers (UNV), in collaboration with the secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement (UNFCCC), is accepting applications for volunteers to play a key role in the organisation and facilitation of the 2017 UN Climate Change Conference, COP 23, which will take place 6-17 November in Bonn, Germany.
The COP 23 volunteering initiative seeks to involve and engage volunteers who are passionate about climate action, promote values of volunteering, and foster citizen participation. This is an opportunity to be at the epicenter of decision-making around climate action – a global issue with significant ramification today and for future generations. COP 23 volunteers are not only contributing to the significant outcome of this event but are also gaining valuable knowledge for their personal and professional life.
As a volunteer, this programme will deliver the necessary training, promoting the values and principles of the United Nations to empower you in the organisation and support of the conference.
- The volunteers will receive a certificate after successful completion of their assignment and are invited to attend the high-level Recognition Ceremony, in honour of their efforts.
- COP 23 shirts will be provided to you. Style and colour of pants and shoes should be appropriate according to your assigned volunteer position.
- You will be provided with a lunch voucher during 6 hour shifts.
- Beyond the event, a seed grant will be available for the best project proposal addressing climate change in the volunteer’s community as part of a Climate Action Challenge.
- To volunteer at COP 23 you must complete the online registration, participate in a full day training, and be present during your assigned working period.
- Volunteers will be needed throughout the conference (5-17 November 2017) and some may be requested to participate as early as October 2017.
- Tasks range from guiding visitors to supporting the conference as side events and exhibits assistants or registration desk support, working on sustainability and greening projects, as ushers, room assistants or note-takers, just to name a few.
- Volunteers will be working in 6-hour shifts(morning, afternoon or evening). Each volunteer can indicate his/her availability during the registration process.
- You must be 18+ years old.
- Working knowledge of English is required. Working knowledge of another official United Nations language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese) and German are an asset.
- Candidates with an academic or professional background related to sustainable development, international relations, law, ICT, business or public administration, environmental studies, social sciences or other specialized fields are especially encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team. They should also demonstrate tact and good judgement. Previous volunteering experience is an asset.
- Most importantly, candidates should be highly motivated and eager to contribute towards action on climate change.
- Begin your application online.
- The final selection process consists of a mandatory full-day training. Completing this training session is necessary to participate in the volunteer programme. 650 volunteers will be selected.
For more information, please read the FAQ or visit UN Volunteers.