Deadline: February 28, 2018
Entries are invited for the World of 7 Billion Student Video Contest 2017-2018. We now live in a world of over 7 billion people and demographers expect us to reach 9 billion by mid-century. Human population growth exacerbates many of the innumerable challenges facing our global society. Taking on these complex challenges and finding solutions will require understanding, cooperation and creativity.
Create a short video – up to 60 seconds – about human population growth that highlights one of the following global challenges: Advancing Women and Girls, Feeding 10 Billion, or Preventing Pollution. Consider narrowing your focus by concentrating on a subtheme within your topic. Possible subthemes include:
- Advancing Women and Girls – access to education, gender equality, women in government, women’s health, child marriage
- Feeding 10 Billion – hunger, food waste, resource and energy use, deforestation, pollution
- Preventing Pollution – impacts on air, water, and land, climate change, human and wildlife health, ecosystem destruction.
- High School (Four Winners Per Global Challenge)
- One First Place: $1,000
- One Second Place: $500
- Two Honorable Mentions: $250
- Middle School (Two Winners Per Global Challenge)
- One First Place: $500
- One Runner Up: $250
- Open to students in Grades 6-12 all around the world;
- All entries must be a digital video;
- Each entry must focus on one of the global challenges as it relates to population growth;
- Students may work together in groups or submit entries as individuals;
- All information presented in the video must be cited, giving credit to the original source. Plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification. If chosen as a finalist, you must submit a list of your sources, properly cited.
- Each video must have one Lead Producer to serve as the main point of contact. Recognition and prizes will be given to the lead producer and all those listed as co-producers on the entry form.
Get started on your application here
- All entries should begin with a 10 second full-screen “title screen” that includes the following information:
- Lead Producer’s name
- School name
- School city, state
- Title of video
- Total running time (not including the 10 second title screen)
- The length of the video should not exceed 60 seconds (one minute), not including the 10 second title screen.
The deadline for submissions is 5:00 pm (eastern time, US) on Thursday, February 22, 2018. Winners will be announced no later than Tuesday, May 8, 2018.
For more information, visit World of 7 Billion Student Video Contest.