Communication and Media Programme Officer Needed at FORUM-ASIA in Bangkok, Thailand
Deadline: October 5, 2017
The Asian Forum for Human Rights & Development is looking for a competent individual to function as its Communication and Media Programme Officer. The Communication and Media Programme officer works on internal and external communication to maximise the organisational outreach to its members, partners and outside audiences, through traditional and social media strategies, publications and other communication tools. The primary role of the programme is to create a larger constituency for human rights issues in Asia.
The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) is a membership-based regional human rights organisation founded in 1991 with the mission to promote and protect all human rights, including the right to development, through collaboration and cooperation between human rights defenders and organisations in Asia.
FORUM-ASIA is committed to building a peaceful, just, equitable and ecologically sustainable community of peoples and societies in Asia where all human rights of all individuals, groups and peoples—in particular of poor, marginalised and discriminated peoples—are fully respected and realised in accordance with internationally accepted human rights norms and standards. It advocates human rights issues through engagement with Governments, inter-governmental organisations and the United Nations for better promotion and protection of all human rights.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Communication and Media Programme Manager, the Communication and Media Programme Officer shall:
- Assist in development and implementation of FORUM-ASIA communication and media strategies, including FORUM-ASIA advocacy activities, campaigns and public events;
- Assist programmes in external FORUM-ASIA communication efforts, such as publications, press-releases, audio-visual materials and social media content;
- Partake in the on-going management of FORUM-ASIA website, social media channels and e-newsletter;
- Be part of the design, production and implementation of public campaigns, including development of advocacy materials;
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of media strategies, both for FORUM-ASIA overall and for focus countries and themes;
- Provide communication and media support to other programmes where so required;
- Perform any other tasks as requested by the Programme Manager or Senior Management Team.
- 2-year contract with possibility of renewal (subject to a satisfactory performance assessment during the three-month probation period). Start date is November 1, 2017.
- A competitive salary in local currency from USD $30,030 gross per annum;
- Health, Dental, and Accident Insurance covered.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in communication, journalism, publishing or equivalent work experience and/or Bachelor’s degree or higher in the field of human rights or a related subject such as law, political and social science, international relations, development or Asian studies;
- Minimum three years work experience in the field of communication or in the human rights field;
- Understanding of the overall socio-political situation as well as human rights situation in Asia;
- Experience with management of websites and social media channels;
- Ability to work successfully as a team member in a multicultural and demanding work environment;
- Project co-ordination skills;
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and manage team deadlines;
- Analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English;
- Good IT skills.
Successful applicants will be selected based on the following:
- Work communication/editorial experience in organisation/programme/ project management in a regional/ international NGO;
- Knowledge of history and work of FORUM-ASIA;
- Experience with facilitation and conducting training;
- Knowledge of digital security
- Applicants are requested to fill in the Application Form and send it by email together with a self introduction letter and two recommendation letters to firstname.lastname@example.org before October 5, 2017, midnight Bangkok Time (UTC+7), stating “Communication and Media Programme Officer Application” in the subject line. Please note that late applications will not be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview after October 17, 2017. The selection process will include a written assessment.
For more information, visit Communication and Media Programme Officer Needed at FORUM-ASIA.