Wallace Stegner Creative Writing Fellowships at Stanford University 2018-2020
Deadline: December 1, 2017
Applications are open for the Wallace Stegner Creative Writing Fellowships at Stanford University. Unique among writing programs, Stanford offers ten two-year fellowships each year, five in fiction and five in poetry. All the fellows in each genre convene weekly in a 3-hour workshop with faculty. Fellows are regarded as working artists, intent upon practicing and perfecting their craft. The only requirements are workshop attendance and writing. The program offers no degree.
In awarding fellowships, Stanford University considers the quality of the candidate’s creative work, potential for growth and ability to contribute to and profit from their writing workshops. The Stanford Creative Writing Program’s students are diverse in style and experience, with talent and seriousness the true common denominators.
To be a Stegner Fellow:
- Any degrees or tests for admission is not required;
- No school of writing is favored over any other;
- Chronological age is not a consideration.
- Fellowships include a living stipend of $26,000 per year;
- In addition, fellows’ tuition and health insurance are paid for by the Creative Writing Program.
- Anyone interested in a fellowship is welcome to apply, regardless of nationality;
- If accepted, for visa purposes you would be considered a non-matriculated graduate student at Stanford; they would work with you to obtain a J-1 visa;
- There is no age requirements for the program. They have accepted people as young as 22 and as old as 75.
Apply online for the Stegner Fellowship
- To complete the online application you will need the following:
- Your biographical information (including education and publications)
- Contact information for two recommenders (letters of recommendation not accepted)
- Statement of plans (.doc/.pdf)
- Manuscript (.doc/.pdf) fiction up to 9,000 words, poetry up to 15 pages
- Credit card for application fee
The application deadline is December 1, 2017 at 11:59 PST.
For more information, visit Wallace Stegner Creative Writing Fellowships.