Centre of African Studies Visiting Fellowship 2018-19 at the University of Cambridge (Funded)
Deadline: January 15, 2018
The Centre of African Studies, with the generous assistance of the A.G. Leventis Foundation, is pleased to announce a Visiting Research Fellowship to be held at the University of Cambridge. The aim of the fellowships is to enable the visiting academic to spend six months between October and March focusing on their research and writing, whilst based at the Centre of African Studies in Cambridge.
Fellows will have access, by agreement, to the holdings of Faculty and Departmental libraries, to the library of the Centre of African Studies and to the University Library, which houses the extensive collection of materials relating to the history of the Commonwealth formerly housed in the Royal Commonwealth Society Library in London.
- The award is worth up to £17,000, out of which travel, college accommodation, maintenance costs and medical insurance will be paid by the Centre on behalf of the fellow. The Centre is not able to provide additional sums for the travel and living expenses of anyone accompanying the Fellow to Cambridge. The sum is not subject to tax in the UK.
- Open to candidates in all the disciplines in the humanities and social sciences;
- Applicants are expected to have completed a doctoral degree before the Fellowship start date. Preference will be given to candidates with a distinguished research profile commensurate with their academic rank;
- Early- to mid-career researchers are particularly encouraged to apply;
- Offers are normally made to applicants who are permanent residents in Africa. It is expected that applicants would be intending to come to Cambridge to work on a project building on existing research for which a period of residence in Cambridge is demonstrably appropriate;
- They should present a clear and feasible plan for preparing one or more pieces of work for publication. The initiation of a new research project will not be ruled out where there is a realistic expectation that it could be substantially advanced by the end of the tenure of the Fellowship.
In order to apply for a Fellowship you will need to submit an application to the Centre of African Studies, University of Cambridge, by January 15, 2018 and to arrange for your references to arrive at the Centre by the same date. The Centre is not able to consider applications that are not complete. The Centre is not able to consider applications that are not complete.
This application package contains the following:
- A copy of the notice of award;
- Guidance on the information required in your curriculum vitae;
- Guidance on the type of project details required;
- Guidance for you to pass to your referees;
Your application must include the following:
- Your curriculum vitae including details of publications;
- Your project details;
- A photocopy of your PhD certificate (if applicable);
- A photocopy of your passport;
- Two references to be sent directly by your referees to the Director, University of Cambridge, Centre of African Studies, Alison Richard Building, 7 West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DT, UK. E-mail: [email protected]
Completed applications must be sent either by e-mail or in hard copy to:
E-mail: [email protected]
University of Cambridge, Centre of African Studies, Alison Richard Building, 7 West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DT, UK.
For more information, visit Centre of African Studies Visiting Fellowship.