Deadline: December 1, 2017
Young Ocean Leaders Wanted! The World Oceans Day Youth Advisory Council is expanding for 2018 by adding 10 new young ocean leaders from around the world! Apply to become a Youth Advisory Council member.
The World Oceans Day Youth Advisory Council helps to expand the reach and impact of World Oceans Day, on 8 June, and year-round. Council members are instrumental in helping shape the development of World Oceans Day as it grows, providing new and unique perspectives, ideas, and recommendations.
Launched in 2016, the inaugural Council had 11 members. For 2018, they will double the size of the Council seek out youth in a wider range of countries.
- Outreach & Networking: The Outreach & Networking Interest Group will work to identify key networks and organizations, especially those who focus on youth engagement, to expand participation in World Oceans Day. Council members will develop strong relationships among these networks to reach as many youth as possible.
- Academic Engagement: The Academic Engagement Interest Group will work to create strategies and materials for Council members and other youth to engage their school communities for World Oceans Day.
- Writing: The Writing Interest Group will assist in the editorial and publishing matters of World Oceans Day. This includes, but is not limited to blog posts, social media posts, newsletters, press releases and short children’s books.
- Translating: The Translating Interest Group will utilize the multilingual skills of Council members by translating a variety of materials in different languages. This includes, but is not limited to website pages, toolkits, promotional materials, social media posts and children’s books. This Interest Group and particularly the Chair will organize and manage translations.
- You must be between the ages of 16 and 22
- Be able to make at least a two-year commitment, including approximately 5-10 hours per month to Council activities
- Have a passion for the ocean!
Council members are encouraged to get involved in their own unique ways, but the following items are Council member requirements.
- Time Commitments
- Commit to a 2 or 3-year term on the Council (or until the Council member is 22 years old)
- Dedicate approximately 5-10 hours per month to Council activities (please note this time could increase prior to 8 June, and decrease in the months following World Oceans Day)
- Attend at least 2 out of 4 quarterly online meetings (The member should plan to follow up with the Youth Coordinator if the member is unable to attend a meeting due to an academic, professional, or personal commitment)
- Attend at least two-thirds of scheduled, usually monthly, meetings for their Interest Group (The member should plan to follow up with the Youth Coordinator if the member is unable to attend a meeting due to an academic, professional, or personal commitment)
- Contribute at least 2 blog posts to the World Oceans Day website per year
- Translate materials into different languages as needed. This includes, but is not limited to website pages, toolkits, promotional materials, social media posts and children’s books.
- Support World Oceans Day social media campaigns by sharing campaigns amongst their academic, professional and personal networks
- Contact at least 3 potential World Oceans Day event organizers to encourage them to plan an event or take some action for the ocean on or around World Oceans Day
- ‘Contact at least 3 local World Oceans Day event organizers (those who have organized an event in the past 3 years) to make sure they are aware of free resources and that their event is registered on the World Oceans Day website
- Events & Activities
- Participate in or host at least one event on or around World Oceans Day (if a Council-wide event is not available that year or the member is unable to attend a Council-wide event)
- Submit the online application.
- Read the Youth Advisory Council Handbook for more information about the Council and requirements.
For more information and to apply, visit World Oceans Day Youth Advisory Council.