Deadline: December 5, 2017
Applications are open for the Professional Fellows Program for Inclusive Disability Employment 2018. The program is focused on inclusive employment with disabilities and seeks to strengthen the economic empowerment of people with disabilities globally. The fellowship supports 20 mid-career professionals from Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, who are committed to advancing inclusive employment for individuals with disabilities.
Fellows will participate in an intensive five-week program at a university-based research and education center for disabilities in the United States. They will learn innovative strategies to promote economic empowerment of individuals with disabilities through the growth of inclusive employment opportunities.
The Professional Fellows Program on Inclusive Disability Employment is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. It is administered by the Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD) in partnership with the Institute for Community Inclusion at the University of Massachusetts Boston (ICI) and Handicap International.
- Applicants should be between the ages of 25 and 40;
- Be currently living and working in Kenya, Uganda or Tanzania;
- Be eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English;
- Speaking proficiency means that you are able to participate effectively in most formal and informal conversations on practical, social, and professional topics. Communication in spoken English as interpreted by a sign language interpreter (which will be provided by the Fellowship program) through use of American, Kenyan or Ugandan Sign Language qualifies you for speaking proficiency.
- Reading proficiency means you are able to read standard newspaper items, routine correspondence, reports, and technical materials in your special field.
- Have at least two (2) or more years of relevant work experience with or for non-governmental organizations (NGOs), government offices, universities, schools or community-based organizations;
- Have Professional interest and/or experience in inclusive employment and disabilities;
- Be self-directed and able to work effectively in a cross-cultural setting;
- Have demonstrated leadership and collaborative skills;
- Be able to participate in the Professional Fellows Program for Inclusive Disability Employment in the US either in the spring (April 25 – June 3, 2018) or in the fall (October 10 – November 18, 2018);
- Be committed to returning to your home country for a period of two (2) years after completion of the program; and
- Be committed to implementing an individual project that will benefit young people with disabilities and promote greater inclusive employment in your region, country, or community following completion of the program;
- Individuals from diverse backgrounds, including people with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The program will provide reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities (e.g. texts in Braille, large print, electronic format) upon request.
Interested individuals should complete the Fellowship application. The application consists of four principal sections:
- Information About You
- Your Leadership and Statement of Purpose
- Pledge of Authenticity
Please submit the online version of the application if possible. If you are not able to submit the online version, you can complete a paper form of the application and submit it via email to [email protected].
For more information, visit Professional Fellows Program on Inclusive Disability Employment.