BACKSTORY Film Residency 2018 for Emerging Filmmakers from the MENA Region
Deadline: December 1, 2017
Goethe-Institut Lebanon, Beirut Art Residency (BAR) and Metropolis Art Cinema Association are now accepting submissions for the “BACKSTORY”- residency in 2018. The call is open to emerging filmmakers from the Middle East and North Africa countries (MENA Region) as well as Germany to participate in a residency in Beirut.
There will be 2 residencies offered in 2018.
- Residency 1: July 1 – August 31, 2018
- Residency 2: September 1 – October 31, 2018
The residency is an opportunity for those who want to upgrade their professional capabilities through Master Classes that will be available to residents (according to their interests) as well as for individuals who want to realize their filmmaking projects at any stage i.e. pre-production, production and post-production. It provides the chance to concentrate on their project by providing costs of living and accommodation; equipment if necessary and travel expenses.
The program is designed:
- To support regional filmmakers in shaping their professional careers by providing creativity-enhancing working conditions
- To initiate and facilitate networking in the region and between the region and Europe
- To provide opportunities for exchange and exposure
- To give Master Classes to enhance the capabilities of filmmakers
- To give technical support for film projects by providing technical equipment
The artists can be working on one or several stages of their filmmaking project:
- Pre-production including scriptwriting
BACKSTORY will provide:
- Accommodation at Beirut Art Residency
- Stimulating workspace in the heart of Gemmayzeh, Beirut’s artistic district
- Administrative and logistical support
- Access to technical equipment according to project needs
- Specialized master classes provided during the residency
- Flights to and from Beirut
- Monthly stipend of USD 1,000
BACKSTORY invites emerging filmmakers:
- Who have already professional work experience and are up to 40 years old
- Who plan to realize a film project or part of it (pre-production, production or post-production)
- Who are working on any film genre except commercial ads
- Who must be citizens of, and currently residing in, an eligible country:
– Algeria – Jordan – Morocco – Tunisia
– Bahrain – Kuwait – Oman – UAE
– Egypt – Lebanon – Saudi Arabia – Palestine
– Iraq – Libya – Syria – Qatar
– Yemen – Sudan
- Short Film
Complete the online application here.
For more information, visit BACKSTORY Film Residency.