Deadline: January 13, 2018
Applications are now open for the International High School Teacher Programme (HST) and International Teacher Weeks Programme (ITW). In summer 2018, CERN will offer several residential programmes for high-school students and their teachers. These summer programmes offer the unique chance to explore the fascinating world of particle physics through lectures, on-site visits, hands-on workshops, and ample opportunities to interact with CERN’s scientific community. The programmes will be delivered entirely in English and are open for participants from around the world.
The goals of CERN’s international teacher programmes are:
- To support teachers’ professional development in the field of particle physics.
- To promote the teaching of particle physics in high schools.
- To facilitate the exchange of knowledge and experience among teachers of different nationalities.
- To stimulate activities related to the popularisation of physics within and beyond the classroom.
- To help CERN establish closer links with schools all around the world.
About the Programmes
- International Teacher Weeks Programme 2018 (ITW2018) will take place 5-18 August 2018. This 2-week residential programme is open to high school science teachers from around the world who would like to update their knowledge of particle physics, its associated technologies, and related subjects in a group of science teachers of different nationalities. Lectures, on-site visits, exhibitions, Q&A-sessions and hands-on workshops will introduce its participants into cutting-edge particle physics.
- International High School Teacher Programme 2018 (HST2018) will take place 1-21 July 2018. This 3-week residential programme, which has been taking place every year since 1998 at CERN during the month of July, is open to Science High School Teachers from all CERN member and observer States, as well as from other countries subject to funding availability, who would like to update their knowledge of particle physics, its associated technologies and related subjects. Lectures, on-site visits, exhibitions, and hands-on workshops will introduce its participants into cutting-edge particle physics.
Every accepted applicant who is not supported by any third-party funding agency (e.g. their school or government) will receive a financial subsistence to cover both their travel and living costs for the duration of the respective programme.
Both the HST programme and the ITW programme are open for teachers from around the world. All applicants need to have a good working knowledge of the English language and need to be committed to attend the programmes in full. Furthermore, preference in the selection will go to teachers who have a proven experience of extra-curricular activities, such as:
- Organization of educational activities (science olympiads, summer courses for students)
- Contribution to the planning of national curricula
- Involvement in the activities of national and international educational bodies
Please note: For the HST programme, applicants from the USA are asked to contact the US HST coordinator Ken Cecire(link sends e-mail) who will inform you about the dedicated application process for teachers from the USA. Equally, applicants from Canada are asked to consult the website of the Canadian Association of Physicists(link is external). For the ITW programme, however, teachers from the USA and from Canada can apply directly via the CERN website. Read below.
Applications for HST2018 and ITW2018 are only accepted via the respective application form on the CERN teacher programmes website. The application process is split into five parts in which you are asked to supply personal & school details, provide a short curriculum vitae, answer programme specific questions, and upload a 1 minute video clip to present yourself in English.
- The 1-minute video does not have to be professionally produced. You can simply use your phone to record your presentation.
- The file size must be less than 100 MB and you can upload any of the following file types: avi, mov, wmf, fly, mp4
- The 1 minute video clip is your chance to explain why you are the ideal candidate to participate in CERN’s international teacher programmes! Please present yourself in English and describe briefly what draws your interests towards physics and sciences. Catch their attention with your creativity!
You need to create a CERN lightweight account in order to access the respective application form. The registration process is described in this dedicated document.
Ad: Yale Young African Scholars Program for Secondary School Students.
For more information, visit CERN International Teacher Programmes.