Deadline: January 31, 2018
The ACU member institution Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore is offering four fully-funded Commonwealth PhD Scholarships. The scholarship creates new opportunities for NTU and ACU to nurture future leaders in all disciplines, with an emphasis on those in science and engineering. It provides passionate highly motivated individuals the tremendous opportunity to conduct work in a rich research-intensive environment to address global challenges.
Since the introduction of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan in 1959, over 34,000 individuals have received awards. Commonwealth Scholarships provide the chance for talented students to gain a qualification from a university overseas and benefit from international experience and cross-cultural exchange. The scholarships also allow universities to attract excellent international students, showcase their research and teaching and forge closer cross-Commonwealth links.
The Commonwealth Scholarship is awarded to outstanding international students from Commonwealth countries seeking admissions as full-time candidate pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme by research at the University. This Scholarship is for new, incoming students who are not Singapore citizens or permanent residents. A number of students are selected each semester by the University for the award.
Four PhD scholarships are available, in any research specialism offered by NTU. The scholarships funds
- Full tuition fees, a living allowance of 2000 Singapore dollars per month and a resettlement & airfare grant of 2500 Singapore dollars.
- Monthly stipend of S$2,000. Scholars in the PhD programme may be eligible for an additional stipend of up to $500 per month upon passing the PhD Qualifying Examination (QE), subject to good performance in research and the attainment of required standards for courses taken.
There is no bond attached to the scholarship.
The Scholarship is tenable for one (1) year in the first instance and thereafter may, subject to the Scholar’s satisfactory progress, be renewed each semester at the University’s discretion. The maximum period of the Scholarship is 4 years for PhD candidates.
The University reserves the right to vary the amount of the stipend at any time by written notice.
The Scholarship is open to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- nationals from any Commonwealth countries except for Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents;
- have graduated with an undergraduate degree with at least Second Class Honours (Upper Division)/Honours (Distinction) or equivalent;
- at the time of award of the Scholarship, must have been offered admission to a full-time Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme by research; and
- should not be on paid employment or accept paid employment or concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, bursary or top-up allowance during the prescribed period of the award
Applications are open now and close on 31 January 2018. The scholarship start date will be August 2018.
Applicants must complete the online NTU graduate research programme application and indicate on the form that they also wish to apply for the Commonwealth Scholarship. More information on the terms and conditions can be found on the NTU website. Please read these before applying
For any enquiries related to the application process please email [email protected].
For more information, visit Commonwealth Scholarships at NTU.