Anja Niedringhaus Courage In Photojournalism Award 2018
Deadline: January 19, 2018
International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) is seeking candidates for the fourth Anja Niedringhaus Courage In Photojournalism Award. The IWMF’s Courage in Photojournalism Award was created to honor Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014). It celebrates women photojournalists whose work inspires us to take action and better understand the world.
The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award recognizes women photojournalists with a commitment to shining a light on important stories around the world through brave and compelling work. The Award winner will be publicly honored, have her work showcased, and receive a cash prize of $20,000.
The Award includes a cash prize of $20,000. As part of the IWMF’s partnership with World Press Photo Foundation, the 2018 Award winner will be announced publicly and have her work showcased at the World Press Photo Festival of Visual Journalism in April 2018.
Candidates for the Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award must:
- Work full-time as journalists; journalism must be a candidate’s primary vocation. Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible
- Identify as women
- All nominations must include candidate information, work samples, and a candidate/nomination statement.
- The required work samples are 12 photographs that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work, within the context of challenging reporting environments.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a caption describing the place and situation captured.
- Photos must not be manipulated post-production. Photos must depict accurately the scenes and events captured. Photo collages and illustrations will not be accepted.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been taken within the past two years. The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
- Submissions must include a 1 page candidate/nomination statement. The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate tell through her photos?
- Under what conditions does the candidate work?
- How do the photographs submitted with this nomination capture the scope of the candidate’s work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.
The Award winner will be publicly honored at the World Press Photo Festival in April 2018, have her work exhibited and will receive a cash prize of $20,000.
For more information, visit Anja Niedringhaus Courage In Photojournalism Award.