UDB i-Growth Acceleration Program 2017
Deadline: January 25, 2018
The Uganda Development Bank Limited (UDB) in partnership with the ResilientAfrica Network (RAN Lab) is accepting applications for the UDB i-Growth Accelerator 2017. The Accelerator will focus on supporting commercialization of local start-ups and stimulating a culture of innovation in Uganda so as to contribute to the country’s social economic development.
The i-Growth Accelerator program is an annual initiative that will support individuals to grow and expand their start-up enterprises in all sectors. For 2017, the Accelerator will focus on the Agriculture and Manufacturing sectors under the theme; ‘Towards a Smart and Sustainable Agricultural and Manufacturing Sector’
Do you have an innovative, demonstrable solution, or approach that has the potential to improve a Smart and Sustainable Agricultural/Manufacturing Sector? Are you or your organization already implementing an innovation that addresses issues of agriculture, production, or market access? Do you have an idea that innovatively addresses issues around job creation, access to markets/opportunites for farmers and manufacturers? If so, apply.
The 2017 i-Growth Accelerator focused on theme; ‘Towards a Smart and Sustainable Agricultural and Manufacturing Sector’ is seeking solutions under the following thematic areas:
- Post-harvest handling and Transportation
- Value Addition, Standardization, Bulking and Branding
- Market access and access to capital opportunities
- Manufacturing and Agro processing
Inclusion into UDB i-Growth Acceleration Program, where teams will receive:
- Technical support, Mentorship and Business Coaching
- Linkages to local, regional and international expertise and contacts
- Financial support to develop and pilot the solution towards scaling
- Linkages to potential investors and fianciers
- The call shall is open to interested applicants from diverse backgrounds who propose brilliant projects in relation to the theme.
- Submissions can be done in teams or individuals for example youth groups, community based organisations, vocational institutes, students, young entrepreneurs, NGOs, women groups, associations, SMEs etc .
- Projects should suggest transformative interventions or solutions.
- Applicants should note carefully that the suggested projects could be in form of ‘technologies’ or ‘approaches’.
- It should be a project with a demonstrable proof of concept for the solution/approach an existing enterprise with atleast 1 or 2 years of existence.
Successful projects should have the following additional attributes;
- Scalability: the proposed solution should be scalable at different geographical scales preferably regional, national or sub-national and community level.
- Job creation: Creation of employment opportunities is fundamental to the achievement of the vision 2040 overarching goal of Transforming ‘Ugandan Society from a Peasant to a Modern and Prosperous Country within 30 years. It is therefore important that the proposed solutions consider how they will create new employment opportunities.
- Multi-sectoral collaboration: Participation of both the public and private sectors is fundamental or collaboration of multi-disciplinary sectors such as finance, water , energy and humanities will be an added advantage.
- Environmental conservation: Increase yield while keeping the ecosystem green. Green energy to power production
- Other aspects include; Originality of the idea, business/sustainability model, clear implementation plan, additional spin offs (your project provides more than one solution/ benefits to the users), cost effectiveness and competitive advantage of the solution.
Complete the application here.
For more information, visit UDB i-Growth Accelerator.