The Commonwealth Foundation is hiring a Programme Officer for Commonwealth Writers
Deadline: January 26, 2018
The Commonwealth Foundation is looking for a Programme Officer to join the Commonwealth Writers team. The Commonwealth Foundation is a unique organisation with a global reach. By joining the team, you will be embarking on a challenging and rewarding career path and have the opportunity to contribute to improved development outcomes across the Commonwealth. The role will contribute to overall programme effectiveness and the efficiency of programme delivery.
This role will have responsibility for several projects, often dealing with individuals as opposed to large organisations. The three main areas of the programme are: Commonwealth Short Story Prize, Craft Development and Transformative Spaces, which include meetings, conferences, literary and film festivals. Under these areas key tasks include supporting narratives from storytellers outside the mainstream and promoting them on Commonwealth Writers and other platforms, which include electronic and printed publications. Communications, including social media, and the administration of the Writers will provide a substantial portion of this role.
Commonwealth Writers aims to strengthen civic voice and shape public discourse through creative expression by less heard voices. The purpose of this role is to manage projects that fit within this social change sphere.
Commonwealth Writers is a cultural programme within the Commonwealth Foundation. The Foundation is an international organisation established by Heads of Government in support of the belief that the Commonwealth is as much an association of peoples as it is of governments. It is the Commonwealth agency for civil society; a unique, stand-alone organisation established by, funded and reporting to governments.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary – £30,000 per annum
- 15% of monthly gross salary paid in a tax free gratuity payment, payable at end of contract
- Holiday allowance of 30 days plus bank holiday and privilege
- Some international travel maybe required, though is not guaranteed
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of the international literary scene.
- Possess excellent project management skills.
- Have excellent communication skills, with attention to detail and be a self-starter who is able to prioritise your own workload and multi task as required.
- Have experience in the use of online platforms including web and social media in order to expand audience engagement is essential.
- Have experience of working within the area of communications would be an advantage.
- The use of Results Based Management would also be an advantage.
- Commitment to the Foundation’s vision, mission and values.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal including online content.
- Experience of managing multiple projects.
- Knowledge of website content updating. 5
- Advanced computer skills in all aspects of MS Office.
- Experience using social media for building brands or expanding audience engagement.
- Knowledge of the international literary scene.
- A team player with an aptitude to secure relationships across teams and stakeholder groups.
- Well-organised, resourceful with problem-solving abilities and an eye for detail.
- Good research and analytical skills.
- Aptitude to monitor and dispense budgets.
- Understanding of international relations.
- An understanding of policy related communications.
- Experience of using creative expression to contribute towards social change.
- Experience of developing and managing a communications strategy (print, broadcast media, social media) would be an advantage.
- An exposure to monitoring and evaluation technologies, including Results Based Management (RBM).
- Experience of fundraising.
- Some knowledge of the different forms of the creative arts.
- Experience of working with artists.
- Experience of working with website developers and designers.
- Download and read the Job Description before you apply
- Complete the online application.
- Interviews will take place the week of 12 February 2018
The Commonwealth Foundation is also looking for an Intern – details here.
For more information, visit The Commonwealth Foundation.