Call for Entries: United States Hillman Prize for Journalism 2018
Deadline: January 30, 2018
The Sidney Hillman Foundation is now accepting entries for the 2018 Hillman Prizes for the United States. The Hillman Prizes honor investigative journalism and commentary in service of the common good. Winners exemplify reportorial excellence, storytelling skill, and social justice impact.
Since 1950, the Sidney Hillman Foundation has honored journalists who pursue investigative reporting and deep storytelling in service of the common good. Sidney Hillman was the founding president of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union of America, a predecessor union of Workers United, SEIU. Sidney Hillman, an architect of the New Deal, fought to build a vibrant union movement extending beyond the shop floor to all aspects of workers’ lives.
Categories are as follows:
- Book (bound volumes and ebooks)
- Newspaper Journalism (story or series/in print or online)
- Magazine Journalism (story or series/in print or online)
- Broadcast Journalism (story/series/documentary at least 20 minutes in total package length that has aired on television or radio)
- Web Journalism (story/series that did not appear in print) Open to blogs, photojournalism, and other multimedia projects as well as text.
- Opinion & Analysis Journalism (any medium) Includes all types of advocacy, opinion, commentary and analysis, normally short-form and/or frequent, regardless of medium. Open to newspaper and magazine columnists, TV and radio presenters, podcasters, blogs, and bloggers.
Winners will be announced in April 2018. Winners are awarded travel to New York City to receive a $5,000 prize and a certificate at our awards ceremony to be held Tuesday May 8, 2018.
- The contest is open to journalists and subjects globally, although work must have been intended for and be widely accessible to a U.S. audience. You may nominate your own work or someone else’s.
- The 2018 Hillman Prizes for Journalism will be given to journalism published in 2017.
- There is no fee to enter.
- There is no limit to the number of entries one outlet or publication may enter.
Please mail all hard copy submissions (that you do not link to or upload) to:
The Sidney Hillman Foundation
330 West 42nd St., Suite 900
New York, NY 10036
For questions, please contact Alexandra Lescaze at [email protected] or 917-696-2494
For more information, visit Hillman Prizes for Journalism.