Call for Entries: Canadian Hillman Prize for Journalism 2018
Deadline: January 15, 2018
The Sidney Hillman Foundation is now accepting entries for the 2018 Canadian Hillman Prize is now open. The Canadian Hillman Prize honours excellence in journalism in service of the common good.
The Hillman Prize seeks out investigative reporting that draws attention to social or economic injustice and hopefully leads to corrective measures. They strive to recognize discernment of a significant news story, resourcefulness and courage in reporting, skill in relating the story and the impact of the coverage.
Since 1950, the Sidney Hillman Foundation has honored journalists who pursue investigative reporting and deep storytelling in service of the common good. Sidney Hillman was the founding president of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union of America, a predecessor union of Workers United, SEIU. Sidney Hillman, an architect of the New Deal, fought to build a vibrant union movement extending beyond the shop floor to all aspects of workers’ lives.
The winner(s) of the 2018 Canadian Hillman Prize will be announced in March and be awarded travel to receive a $5,000 prize and certificate at a reception in Toronto on March 28, 2018.
The recipients will also be invited to travel to New York City in May 2018 to participate in the U.S. awards ceremony, and will be listed among all previous Hillman Prize winners on the Hillman Foundation website.
- The 2018 Hillman Prize will be given to a reported story or series published or broadcast in 2017.
- Eligible entries include reporting in newspapers, magazines and online, as well as television and radio, tablets and multimedia.
- Entries must have been published in Canada and been widely accessible to a Canadian audience.
- Self-published work is not eligible.
- There is no limit to the number of entries one outlet or publication may enter.
For paper entries, please forward them to:
579 Richmond Street West
For more information, visit Hillman Prizes for Journalism.